Anonymous

Should a job/boss complain to you about coming to work early? ?

My boss is complaining about me coming to work 5 minutes before the beginning of the shift.

Its other people who clock in a minute before shift start and he don’t tell them nothing. I haven’t been late for work. I just want to know what other people think.

He wants me to come in ten minutes early

Generally, in retail, if the store opens at 9:00 AM, they want you in and ready to work at that time. They expect you in prior to opening. I once supervised 23 stores and, if my employees all showed up 5 minutes early I would have been pleased. 

• You came in 5 minutes early instead of 10 minutes like they asked you to do. If you're doing so regularly, when he didn't ask then he should have a problem with that. Specially if you're clocking in early and not going right to work. 5 minutes is more then 1 minute. You're taking away hours. You could end up with shorter hours because you're clocking in early, it adds up if you're doing this regularly. 

Clock in and out when you're supposed to or when you're asked to. If they need a reminder, remind them that they asked you to clock in early. 

Work schedules are not suggestions.

Your boss seems to be ok with clocking in one minute early.   I suggest you wait four more minutes before clocking in.

Clocking in early without authorization is basically stealing money from your employer.

If its 5 minutes a day or 25 minutes a week of overtime than I can see why he has a problem with it. See if leaving 5 minutes early or waiting to clock in will be ok with him.

• Dv8s

If your boss has a problem with it, wait 5 minutes and then clock in.