Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 2 months ago

Where can I find volunteer opportunities for seniors?

That will help seniors who live by themselves and help them out in keep them company in their homes. I just lost my grandma and I see that a lot of elderly live by themselves and need help  around the house for stuff they can't do and a lot lost their caregivers because of the virus and I want to help my local seniors who want to live in their home and need help

I don't think that now is the best time to be looking for volunteering opportunities and to be going into other people's homes. We are all being asked to stay in our own 'bubbles' so as to halt the virus.  I realise that many elderly people will require help over the festivities but it must be done in an organized way - sorted by people who know what is needed.  In U.K. we have Age Concern who do all things in a very organized manner.  At this present time all volunteers will have had to have certain health checks to ensure that they cannot spread anything and the same will have to be applied to those needing help so that they, the elderly, cannot pass anything on to someone trying to help them. Everyone will need a very serious health check before being allowed to enter other people's  homes now so don't be shocked or hurt if your offer is turned down.  It's lovely that you wish to help though.

• kswck2

With COVID raging right now, you will probably be hard pressed to find anyone to do that. 

• ?

I'm sorry that you lost your grandma. It is really sweet of you to look for opportunities to help seniors. Unfortunately, with a pandemic going on it's a difficult time for people to be around others, especially older people.

Normally I would suggest volunteering at a nursing home or senior center. That's not going to happen right now due to the virus. Perhaps you could you make or buy some inexpensive Christmas stockings, fill them with goodies and deliver them to a nursing home. Focus on any of the holidays and they will be grateful.

Don't give up. You have a kind heart and the pandemic won't last forever. Your grandma would be proud of you.