Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

What can cause a car wheel to break off?

I was driving the other day and saw this jeep patriot wasn't that old and the wheel or rim looked to have broke off. What can cause that in a car?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I've seen a few different things happen over the years that caused wheels to come off (or risk coming off -  most related to human error) - loose lugnuts (or lugs starting to back off and reaming the holes in the rim out), studs breaking off, damage to the rim from impact of hitting curbs, bumps, etc. at high speed - the center of the rim will still be bolted to the hub, but the rim (especially aluminum rims) will break off.

Failed wheel bearings or a problem with the hub/spindle bolt - the whole hub and wheel can come off.  I've also seen ball joints fail - and while the wheel is generally still attached, it will have flopped down or up (depending on whether it is the upper or lower joint).

• 1 month ago

LOOSE WHEEL BEARINGS! BUT the JEEP you refer to is a POS ( Piece of JUNK) The EGNIERNS are like tinker toys and usually will dump ROCKER ARMS if they load up with carbon! The WATER PUMPS are like TINKER TOYS and most of those darn 3.7 engine land in JUNK YARDS>>they do NOT make them anymore! It is ONE REASON WHY AMERICA will just NOT be GREAT AGAIN! DOMESTIC CARS have ALWAYS been sub standard or UNDER developed. They NOW are using ZG trannies and steering systems used by BMW< AUDI< and many BENZS cars thankfully to add VALUE to them! The JEEP DEALERS all have BINS of extra ROCKER ARMS as PROOF of what I say here! Should a WHEEL BEARING loosen ( VERY RARE)_ then the WHEEL will run away! IF the LUG BOLTS are loose, and you do NOT FEEL them vibrate the wheel something is wrong with YOU! JEEP is VERY ODD in a way! They make GREAT RUST RESISTANT bodies that will last, but since they STOPPED using their FAMOUS straight six, they get into trouble EASILY! The way the AIR/FUEL mixture is done is BEGGING for extra carbon to build up and SHOOT out a rocker or two! ALL CARS use BOSCH ( or DENSO ) fuel injectors that SHOULD last the lifetime of the engine and the car! But JEEP seems to use a LOWER QUALITY of the BOSCH injector and it causes issues! ANYWAYS enough of my preaching here! GOOD LUCK with that LIBERTY< the owner will NEED IT! they should use ONLY PENNZOIL ULTRA PLATINUM In the engine and ONLY genuine CHRYSLER coolant! BYE for NOW

• 1 month ago

DELUSION on your part.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

broken wheel studs 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • F
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Most likely is the lug nuts weren't tightened enough.

Other than than , damage from hitting a curb or rock might break one or more suspension link.

• 1 month ago

Probably a broken ball joint.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

hitting the curb over and over . 

• 2 months ago

Wheels break off of race cars because of the cornering stress.  Not likely on a Jeep.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I think you mean hubcap. Those plastic pieces that go over cheap steel wheels. Sometimes it means they scraped up along a curb and the hubcap snapped off. 

• 2 months ago

Hauling around an overweight mother-in-law can cause that to happen.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.