What type of a computer would you recommend for an artist?

Hi, I have had the same computer since 8th grade but, being a soon-to-be college graduate, my old laptop is really on its last leg and I'm finally looking into getting a new one. 

I am looking for recommendations based on my needs as an artist. By that I mean I am a writer, so I work a lot on LONG word documents (hundreds of pages sometimes). I am a photographer and videographer so I often find myself transferring large files for both my personal needs (documenting family trips) and occasional business needs/photo-shoots. Finally, I am an artist. I would like to try my hand at digital art but do not currently have a device with that capacity, so I am looking for something with a touch screen that would be compatible with graphic design software. When it comes down to it, I am looking for something that will copy large files easily, with a lot of memory, and maybe a touch screen. 

My budget, is mid-range I would say. While I am a college student I do have a part time job and after bills I have the patience/willingness to put aside money every month for a year until I have the necessary funds. However I can only save so much per month and don't feel I can wait too much longer. 

Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Ian

Apple...................

If you need to save up a year to buy a computer you can't afford it.

Look on Offer Up to find used ones that will meet your needs.