Will hiring a car inspector be worth it for me?

So let me put it into perspective.

It'll be my first car.

It will be a used car from a dealership.

I know nothing about cars mechanically only how to drive one therefore I'm a poor negotiator with car purchases.

I've had a learner's license for 2 years and will get my official license this coming week.

It's an SUV.

Will it be worth hiring a car inspector in my area. It will be $275 tax included for a full in depth inspection. (That's steep I know)

They said their staff inspector will not negotiate pricing on my behalf with the dealership.

The only thing he will do is inspect the car.

So even if he notices there's flaws in the car the dealership may still stick with its price anyway. He could be like well take it or leave it.. to add to that I know I don't want other cars, that one specifically. (But the dearlership nor the potential inspector doesn't know that) So I don't really have negotiating leverage at all.

My point is that if there's damage the inspector won't be able to fix it anyway nor negotiate the price on my behalf. Neither will I be able to negotiate. So what's really the point of hiring him really. All I will get is a notice of damage earlier on. I might as well put that $275 towards any repairs it might or will have.

Keep in mind I will have to pay warranties, insurance, fuel, registration, plates. So it all adds up. Is it worth the hiring the inspector? Please help. Thanks in adv.

As others have pointed out - that's a bit steep for an inspection, but money well spent if they catch a major $$ item while looking at it.

You said 'they can't fix it or negotiate the price' - but you can *walk away*.

At no point should you ever get attached to a vehicle - salespeople can sense it, and will take you to the cleaners.  ALWAYS be willing to walk away.

Where you buy the car is just as important as what car you buy.

I say that because there are car dealerships that only sell cars they are willing to put their name on. There are also dealerships that have nothing but junk.

Take a good look at the other cars on the lot, if it is a new car dealership I would suggest you spend some time sitting in the waiting room of repair department. You might learn a lot about how that dealership operates.

Lastly- make sure the car is a low risk model! Consumers Reports publishes a buyers guide that is published once a year and also every year has a car buying guide. They list high risk models and low risk models. A preferred list if you will and an avoid list. Make sure the model you want is not one known for being a lemon.

I worked as a master mechanic at several dealers during my career before retiring. Those dealers charged 1 hour labor to do a used car inspection. Hourly rates were $100/hour back then. $275 is a rip off. Find a good private shop to do the inspection and they will give you paper work with your receipt as to what needs to be done. There should be an estimate for all the repairs needed. When you go to buy the vehicle show the sales person the paper work and make an offer deducting the repair costs from their asking price. Don't buy a $3,000 used car warranty. They will pressure you to do so because it's the way sales people add to their commission on the sale.

in my opinion yes .these guy should be able to tell you if its been in an accident ..and its overall condition ..yes it cost money but it could save you not only money but a lot of frustration ..shame you never gave more info in question ..ie ..type of vehicle ..year ..mileage ..cost ..complete service history? 

You don't have to "pay warranties" and if you did, chances are it would not pay if you had what you thought was a covered claim and I am sure you can get someone to look it over for far, far less.

• fuzzy

Though they may not be able to negotiate on your behalf, they will be able to spot if it's a builder that someone pawned off on the stealership

Okay your parents are dumb and obviously not helpful and you don't know anything about cars. That sucks. Why are you getting an SUV? Why don't get a car instead? Try not to buy a car from a dealership because they usually charge more.

If I was you, I would get on autotrader or autotempest or craigslist and look for a toyota corolla or a toyota camry, maybe a hyundai accent or elantra, honda civic or accord, something like that. personally I would try to find one with a manual transmission because manual transmissions generally last longer than automatics. 

You need to forget about getting some sports car for your first car. Get a 4 cylinder reliable car with ideally less than 150k miles on it. No matter what kind of person you pay to inspect the car, they're not going to be able to check everything. There's no way for them to know if the transmission is going to have issues within the next 10k miles. You can go on youtube and learn basics of how to inspect a car, it's better to bring someone with you who knows more about what they're doing but either way you simply cant check everything. It would take a lot of time to check compression, oil pressure, oil level, transmission fluid level and color, things like that. You can do those things if you have a long time but you need speciality equipment for some of it. If the car vibrates at idle it might have worn motor mounts. You have to check the ball joints and tie rods to see if the rubber boots have come off or if there is play. You have to check the struts for leaking fluid and excessive bouncing.

It's going to be a gamble no matter what but dont stress too much, just try to get a car with less than 150k miles, change the fluids, and be prepared to fix things that break. Fixing problems is part of the deal with buying a used car. There are usually reasons that the previous owner wanted to get rid of it. 

You didn't even post a link to the ad of the vehicle so I have no idea what it is, and I have no idea why you would get an SUV. you probably dont need an SUV and gasoline is going to cost a lot more. So is maintenance. For example if you need a new transmission, generally it's going to cost more to replace a transmission on an  SUV and it wont cost as much to replace a corolla or camry transmission since there are so many of them and lots of parts on ebay.

Source(s): the key to finding the right car is to look at tons of vehicles and find one at a decent price. too low could mean it might have issues that arent mentioned in the ad, then you just go check it out, test drive it, and get it. keep 1500 dollars in savings in case there are issues with it. you need to learn how to work on cars yourself. get tools but dont go out buying tools that you dont need. you will need a metric socket set, extensions, decent floor jack, jack stands, 2 wheel chocks, go to the library and find an auto repair manual for the car you get. take photos of all the pages, or just buy a manual. autozone and oreilleys have loan-a-tool programs where you can buy and return certain speciality items. I would check a lot of things on a car I was about to buy, but I would also do a compression test. on all 4 cylinders. just make sure the engine is fine and most other things can be easily replaced if they break. time to start learning how to fix cars.

Sounds like you are going to buy this specific car regardless of price or problems, and that you have no negotiation power (which is not true). I see the likelihood of a bad deal that you'll later regret, after it's too late to do anything about. Some people only learn the hard way.

BTW, you should be able to find a mechanic to inspect your car for less than $275.

If the car is coming from a new car dealer that also sells factory-certified "pre-owned" cars with an extended warranty, then it shouldn't be necessary. If it is at a strictly used car lot, then hire the inspector, and negotiate with the company for that much discount on the price and, if anything needs fixing, they repair it before you sign on the dotted line. If they drag their feet on any of that, find a different dealer and car. 

• Dze

well, if your paying for a warranty i'd make sure that covers the entire drivetrain anyway .. and for a good amount of time .. none of this 1 month bullcrap lol ..