Upgrading CPU. Do I need to do anything after?

I’m upgrading my cpu from intel core i5 9600k to i9 9900k. After upgrading the hardware, will I need to do anything with windows? Do I have to reinstall? I’ve never upgraded a cpu before, I only have experience starting fresh with new parts rather than upgrading.

Favorite Answer

you may or may not get the Windows popup -- the one that, in essence, suspects you of using a pirated copy.  It has a toll free number you call to sort out the problem -- which amounts to convincing them that you upgraded some of your hardware, rather than moved to a new computer.

I've upgraded a lot of processors because I buy used PC parts and I've never seen the Windows product key become invalidated after a CPU upgrade. Only the Windows OEM product key is tied to the motherboard, because the motherboard is what Microsoft defines as the core of the system. So if you have an OEM product key on your system and you upgrade the motherboard then you will need a new product key. If you have what is known as a 'Retail' product key then you can port that product key from one motherboard/system to another. 

From a windows point of view it ties your windows key to hardware, upgrading the hardware may require you to reauthorise windows, on windows 10 thisa is simle enough.  Just the cpu should not trigger this.

If you also changed the motherboard it may be advisable to check the site for the manufacturer to download any drivers you may need like chipset drivers. 

Applying the heat sink goo carefully, then putting on the heatsink/fan assembly and plugging it in, then plug in the power cord and start normally.  Go to BIOS to confirm installation.  Launch operating system.  Check in Device Manager.