Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 2 months ago

Granddad is dying, Dads upset - What cognac is better?

Okay look, long story short - My Granddad has anywhere between 2 hours and 2 weeks to live, he's not great right now. I'm not huge on my granddad so don't worry about me, he's been not the best of people since I came out - my dad, however, has been chasing his approval for years and I love my dad very much, he's been fantastic with my coming out and done his best to educate himself and others. Lovely dude.

This brings me to my question, see my granddad and dad love brandy and cognac - It's been their thing for a long time. I want to give my dad a really good bottle of cognac (but not like... killer priced) this Christmas as a sort of 'sorry your dad is (soon to be?) dead, I hope this will remind you of him' gift. However, I don't know jack about cognac, I know there's like VS then VSOP then XO and I know XO is the better one but what brand?

So what do I get? Remy Martin XO or Courvoisier XO or any other brand that's in roughly that price range? 

• John

Remy, Martell or Courvoisier will do quite nicely. I tend to go for Martell but any of those will be fine.

I'm partial to Courvoisier, but I'm not a connoisseur - Paul Masson Amber is what I use when I have a cough.