Simone asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

My dog acts weird around me. Any reason why?

I rescued an emaciated miniature pinscher a year ago. He doesn't seem to like me very much being that he growls at me whenever I pet him and has at times attacked me (He never does this to my cohabitants - just me) but when I stop, he continues to nudge me like he still wants me to pet him and continues to growl. But when I bring out the collar and leash to take him for a walk he does a complete 180 jumping on my lap and licking my face.

Some people say it's because he hasn't been neutered, we also have reason to believe he was abused and perhaps I remind him of someone who mistreated him.

If this dog is in new house or new owner it will definately bark.

As a retired dog groomer I can tell you about a lot of dogs that growl while being groomed.  The growl is a warning that it could bite.  I would stick my fingers in its mouth to show it I was not afraid of its bite.  Most did not bite, they tried to get my fingers out of their mouths.  When they learned that their growls go unheeded they soon stop all threats.

I specialized in dogs with problem behaviors & I was quite good at getting around all the aggression.  Understanding canine aggression helped me a lot.

• Maxi

Get it nuetered and book dog training classes as this dog is untrained and likely being allowed to get up on furniture/beds without being first told he can or corrected in other way so 'assumes' their is a  job vacancy of 'top dog' as you are not stepping up training and correcting it , spoiling and allowing it to manipulate you and thinking you are doing the right thng when you are not........

• ?

Its always hard to tell just WHY a rescued dog acts as some  of them do.

It `may` be that he does not see you as a leader and is trying to intimidate you with his growling.

You don`t say if you `give in` to him when he nudges you for more petting. If you do then STOP it.

Also stop petting him for no reason, at the moment.

Make him obey a command like sit or stay, before you give him any petting. He needs to EARN your praise and attention.

Of course he gets excited at the prospect of a walk and at this stage it would be best to ignore his licking and jumping and just take him on the walk and do some training, eg: sits, downs, en-route.

Praise him well, when and if he obeys commands.

The dog NEEDS a leader who it can trust and look up to and feel  safe with. 

Too  much petting and leniency will not earn the dogs RESPECT.

Just because you may have reason (what is that reason?) to `think` the dog has been abused is no reason to be lenient with him. Castration does not alter a dogs genetic temperament.

its YOU who need to alter YOUR attitude towards the dog, and be firm but fair and consistent with him and once he respects you completely he will stop growling and attacking you and then you can relax and pet him when YOU feel like it without him feeling you are taking liberties with him. 

Please appreciate my post is just a guess at what may be the dogs problem as I have no info about him at all, not even his age and where he came from.

But my advice is worth a try and it may take a few weeks to show any results.

Source(s): GSD owner for 58 years. UK
  • ?

I'd suggest this is all down to what happened to him in his previous home.   He's confused.   It's up to you to let him come to you in his own time and don't repeat the things that cause that kind of reaction.   His previous experience with humans before you, may unfortunately be with him for a very long time, maybe forever.

He needs his scalp jiggled

• ?

Ah rescue dogs...aren't they an adventure? It's never too late to start over and start gently. Often, people make the mistake that they are dogs and love to be pet all over all the time. This may not be the case with this little guy. It can take some time to understand his likes vs. dislikes. It could be as simple as the way your petting him, or maybe he doesn't like the feel of your hands. It's like he WANTS you to touch him and give pets, but can't process that it would feel good coming from you and tells you to back off. 

Without a leash, just don't even try and pet him. Just don't. You're stressing him out, him stressed out is stressing you out, it's just a mess. So start slow. Teach him "touch" with a treat. Put out your hand as gently as possible, have him touch it with his nose, and reward. Repeat. Just do this for a few days to get him used to your hands. When he goes in for a treat, try to gently rub his jaw, leave him alone. When he has on his leash and jumps up and is happy, treat him and pet him at the same time. He has associated you with walks and happy times, so the collar comes out, YAY! Collar off? NOPE. When he does the nudge thing, show your hands and let him come to you and decide what he wants. He may just lean into you, he may just sniff them and walk away. So don't force it. Just don't. Forcing a dog to do something they will not do only makes the whole situation worse and before you know it, it's too far gone to fix. 

So stop forcing pets on him. If he comes into your lap, treat, do not touch him. Just leave him be. You need to give him more space to get used to things, and being a rescue dog, being you've had him for a year and kept trying to pet him, just stop. It's ok. He may come around, he may not, but the slower you go with him and the quicker you just start over, he should come around and allow pets in no time. My dog was also a rescue, and he fell in LOVE with my husband off the bat. Would cuddle with him and only him, crawl on his lap, not mine. A year later, like LAST WEEK, he started coming to me and my side of the couch and plopping on me! I never forced him to, it just happened last week that he wanted ME to be his cuddle buddy. Some dogs just need more space than others and more time.

Rescue dogs can be difficult to understand.  My large (88 pound) dog is very head shy.  Five years after I rescued him I saw the woman who fostered him between seizure and me taking him, and she told me that she punished him by picking him up by the nape of his neck and shaking him, "Just like his mother."  Problem solved!  You may never know the problem, but you will learn to live with it.