How do I change my sleeping schedule?

I can't fall asleep before 12:00 am, even if I get into bed at 10:00 pm. I cant wake up before 9:30 - 10:00am. I want to be able to get up at 5:30 or 6:00 am.

We're in the same boat. Late to fall asleep, and the sleep is too damn long. 

1. Force yourself to get up earlier, regardless of when you went to sleep. You can start with an alarm at 9 AM. If you wake up before that, great. The next week, set your alarm for 8:30 and keep moving it back each week until you reach the desired time.

2. STOP consuming caffeine or nicotine. If you need a cup of coffee or tea in the morning, fine -- then switch to decaf or non-caffeinated items.  This include soft drinks and chocolate.  

3. Start taking a 3mg melatonin tablet and some magnesium about 1 hour before you want to fall asleep.  If that is 9 PM, then take it at 8 PM.

4. Stop the use of screens (phone, tablet, computer, TV) at least an hour before you go to bed.

5. Take a shower or bath to relax and get into bed at the time you select. Don't get distracted or stay up later. The first step is getting in bed and then getting out of bed at the time you want.  The second step is getting the sleep you need between those two events.

6. Try listening to a sleep meditation podcast when you go to bed if you aren't falling asleep quickly.

7. Keep your bedroom comfortably cool and dark.

Ir  sounds like your body needs a good 8+ hours of sleep, so your goal is to improve both the quality of the rest you get and to move the time of the rest. 

Do physical work or go to the gym to make yourself tired. Don't watch phone or tablet screens late at night. Get one of those wake-up lights that simulate dawn.

One method is to stay up all night and all the next day and then go to bed at the desired time (but make sure you can do this safely--like, be careful about operating heavy machinery on no sleep).  Another is to change slowly--go to bed and wake up 15 minutes earlier a day (you can also change less frequently, like every 2 days or 3 days--whatever's comfortable).