Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

An approach to fighting PTSD from sexual abuse?

So.. I'm a sexual abuse survivor. It was my grandfather and it went on from as far back as i can remember to when i was about 10. It was all of the worst kinds of abuse you can imagine. Molestation, rape, physical abuse, torture and mental torture too. He would command me to kill small animals as a small child and then use the fact that i did that to make me feel like an evil person or a criminal who would get in trouble, etc even though if i didnt do it, he would do things like stepping on the back of my head, shoving my face in sand and suffocate me, etc. I now have PTSD as an adult and i have gone to therapy, etc but nothing has worked. I have learned ways to cope with it and tried many medicines that have failed to help. But no luck in keeping attacks away. I wondered.. if i went and made really good memories happen in all of the places where i got abused most that trigger me, could i make my brain associate those triggers with something positive? If i placed myself in the middle of my triggers and tried to change them, would it most likely work (the same way it might for traumatized animals)? Or could it take a serious turn and make me go backwards in my progress? I'm just so tired.  My life is not what i wanted it to be/what it would have been. I remember my original self as bubbly and showy and positive; energetic. Now I'm so antisocial and anxious and depressed all the time to where i have no energy at all. I need a way.

There are things that help with PTSD that you probably never heard of.

The VA has approved breathing therapy for veterans with PTSD.

Studies that show this to be effective -

* The study at Stanford (video below) in which war veterans - some of whom had not been helped by other treatments - experienced anxiety brought down to normal levels after one week of slow breathing therapy, and good results a year later.

* Descilo's study of slow breathing for tsunami survivors, in which the group that had slow breathing therapy did as well as the group that had slow breathing followed by treatment as usual. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvli7NBUfY4

Youtube thumbnail

A psychologist named James Pennebaker has written a book on journaling as a treatment for trauma victims, Expressive Writing: Words That Heal. It's based on his clinical research.

If you go to the Amazon ad for The PTSD Sourcebook by Dr. Glenn Schiraldi, you'll see from /the reader reviews that people with the disorder really appreciate this book, which says that there's a variety of symptoms associated with PTSD, some of which respond to self-help. For example, there's a simple but effective remedy for recurrent nightmares.

Psychiatrist and PTSD expert Bessel van der Kolk says that, although people with the disorder can benefit from meditation, those who are early in their recoveries often find this difficult. He suggests that patients interested in meditation begin with simple relaxation methods. This has details about the work of two psychiatrists who have published 6 papers on breathing and use it in their work, and other things that can help - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqEM_jlDRZI

Youtube thumbnail