Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 2 months ago

Is AMD or Intel better for Gaming at a $2,500 budget?

I have a budget of $2,500 for the PC hardware. I should also mention that I reside in the USA.

I currently have a case (large form factor), mouse and keyboard, Speakers, Windows 10 USB Drive (official license), and monitor.

All I really need is a CPU, GPU, Memory, cooler, SSD and storage Hard Drive.

That being said and with a budget of $2,500, what would be better for gaming in mind? Any and all suggestions are welcomed as long as you could list the parts, please.

Thanks a million.

Yes, I am still needing a mobo.

as it sits right now the zen 3 ryzens (5800x/5900x) are the best gaming chips available as intel does not have a comparable alternative.

the problem is getting one (as they are sold out and likely will be for months)

Behind a zen 3 cpu you could get a 10900k which would be the next runner up in performance.

you can also get a cheap zen 2 chip with a good mobo and upgrade to zen 3 when they are available (as they are compatible)  

$2,500 will buy you a crappy alpha state.

Don't be an idiot. ...

today, AMD.  and the estimated situation, due to product shortages, is wait a few months for supply to improve and thus for prices to go down.  -- grampa  [i'm waiting myself, for this reason]

AMD are better by far.

Go to a Ryzen 9 series CPU with a good motherboard and a decent amount of RAM.

• Dick

You don't mention a Motherboard.  Do you have one already or are you going to purchase a combo MoBo and CPU together?

In any case you mention cooling and it will be critical in a high end machine.  I suggest a water cooler for whatever CPU you buy.

I run and i5-9600k that operates from 3.7 to 4.6 GHz and without my water cooler I was seeing temps as high as the 160's F at times.  I did my research and ended up with a Corsair Water Cooler and my typical temps that I see on all 6 cores are below 85 degrees F.  So my CPU is nice and cool at all times.

The other thing that I did was add 4 additional fans to my case since I had ample space for them in my full sized tower.  You just have to think about air flow and making the direction of the air flow all be working to keep your computer (as a whole) much cooler.  So make the airflow on each fan be compatible to the other fans.

It's not rocket science if you just give it a little thought.

That is like asking which is better, a Chevy or a Ford.  They make dozens of models and some are better than others.  Plus some models are great for one thing and terrible for another. There is no answer to this question without a lot more information.

AMD is a chip maker that started in Britain, while Intel is a chip maker that started in  the US.  They now both sell in the US and Europe.  And both have their made by the same companies in and around China.

There is no major differences between the products made by both companies.  But there are difference between the different models of chips made by each companies (or different chips both made by AMD, or different chips both amde by Intel.)

• P

As much as I like Intel, they have dropped the ball with the current generation of processors.    Your best bet is an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X or  AMD Ryzen 9 5900X paired with a NVIDIA RTX 3080.    Your only problem will be finding them in stock for a normal price since they are selling out everywhere.   Everyone knows they are the best and everyone wants to build a new gaming pc this year.