Should you turn off water when leaving house vacant for a month?

I recently replaced a toilet float in my bathroom, and being not very handy, I don't feel completely comfortable leaving the home for a month (traveling for work) because I'm concerned about a leak. There hasn't been any moisture since the project (a couple weeks). When I turned the water off there was not any drip from the shut-off, but is there more of a chance of that leaking vs just leaving water on and trusting the job I did. I'm a little concerned because it looks like the clip is not completely flush in the bottom of the bowl, but I hand tightened it extremely, and its not leaking (pic below) Please help an OCD brother out. Happy Holidays to all and thanks so much for any help 😊 

Favorite Answer

It didn't leak immediately after you did the repair...which is good enough for ANY plumber or handyman.  So there is NO REASON it will happen 1 hour, 1 day, 1 month , 10 years from now either. It does not need to be flush. Some nuts are deeper than the one you have pictured.  They seat against the pipe at the bottom. if you leave the house for a month and your house is at a lattitude where it freezes, then never shut off the heat completely.  Turn down to 40F is fine so the water in the tank and bowl and pee traps do not freeze and break the ceramic or the ABS pipe.At 40F your green plants will still live.  Dog & cat don't give a turd, because they got that fur coat to keep them warm. 

I turn off my water when I leave the house for even a week. This way, I never have to worry about one single leak from anywhere in the house.

Because if a pipe spring a leak or a plumbing fixture somehow failed on, say, day 2 of my absence, jt would not be leaking for five days straight, causing a potential mess to clean and water damage to walls, floors and ceilings.

• F

Not if you have a heating system with water filled radiators .

• L

It all depends on where your house is and the weather.  If you live in the North, and it's winter, it's better to leave a faucet or two just dripping to prevent ice build up in the lines.  If you live in the South - no problems.

It is essential to turn off water before leaving the house.

It will be fine if you leave it on, but for extra precaution, you can choose to turn it off.

• CB

We have a house 4.5 hours from our primary - I used turn it off then it leaked between the county shut-off and house shut-off. WtF haven't done again in the last 10 years. We leave the house empty for a month or more at a time. Obviously not ideal but getting to one of two shut-offs means a trip under the house in the dirt, or out near the road a couple feet in a hole in the ground.  

with Flexi connections which do have a habit of bursting that is a good idea 

If it hasn't leaked in two weeks it's not going to.  But there's no harm in shutting the water if you feel you must.  It's overkill but simple to do for peace of mind.

• Tavy

We do when we go away especially in winter in case the pipes freeze.