Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 2 months ago

can i hire a car guy to go with me to look at used cars and tell me if they're good or not?

i'm a guy who doesn't know a lot about cars, i know enough to get by, how to fix basic issues myself and all that. but i'm just not good at knowing how to know what's important, cars just aren't my forte. can i hire a guy (or woman, just anyone) who knows a lot about cars to come with me to look at used cars and tell me their honest unbiased opinion on the state of them? is that something i can do? i'm trying to buy a used car. 

Favorite Answer

Sure you can, but finding somebody is the trick. Anybody who runs a repair shop is unlikely to do it outside business hours. Your best bet is to do your homework, learn how to do a pre-buy evaluation yourself. There are plenty of books and websites with advice.

When you've narrowed your choices to a couple of vehicles, make an appointment with a shop to do a thouough pre-buy inspection and test drive, Any owner whho won't allow you to take it to a shop for an inspection should be avoided. A thorough inspection can cost as much as $200, but is better than throwing your money away on something you haven't had checked out. Be sure that a seller is willing to negotiate based on anything found wrong, and if it is too terrible, walk away .  If you buy from a used car lot DO NOT TRUST  their shop to do the inspection unless they're known to have an impeccable reputation. Otherwise, get a different shop to go over it. Or, go to a new car dealership and see if they have any used FACTORY certified pre-owned vehicles. You'll pay more for one, but it gives you some sense of security and it will have a warranty. Such a car may be out of your price range.

• bob f

I take the car for a test drive, right to a preferred tech (who has no skin in the game) and for $10 or so, they throw it up on the hoist and give it a good check over from stem to stern. I then take  that info back and use it as a bargaining tool, as in the car needs this, it cost $XX to do, I need that much off the price.

• ?

It's too bad that you're not in Statesboro Georgia because that's what I do I find cars and I recondition them and get them ready to go to work. My car's are not geared at having sports car like appearances they're geared at being clean fabric untorn and everything working the way that it's supposed to. 

The worst thing that you can possibly do is purchase a used car from a dealer. They are geared at doing a good cosmetic cleanup of your vehicle and spraying some new car set in it and you get what you get. If you were in Statesboro Georgia I could help you find a good used car

• Barry

With AAA Auto Buying Tools, Anytime is a Best Time to Buy a Car. ... Members in participating areas also get exclusive access to the AAA car buying service. Check out thousands of vehicles offered through the AAA certified dealer network at pre-negotiated prices. To learn more, visit AAA.com.

You could but it makes more sense to take a car you like to them. Take long test drives first.