could a blood pressure test damage your circulatory system if your blood pressure was too high?

• ?

The way the medical profession theorizes high blood pressure is wrong and very misleading.

The common belief is that we consume too much salt and because of that it holds too much water in the vessels - exerting too much pressure.

This is wrong.

While it's true that we consume a lot of salt, there are two things to consider:

1) Salt is used as a method of food preservation. Without the added salt, the shelf-life of food wouldn't be long enough to do anyone any good.

2) The body has no areas where it can store nutrients. Thus, it takes what it needs from food and discards the rest. Most of the excess salt that is consumed is eliminated in the urine, the pores, respiration, and waste elimination.

If salt is retained by the body there has to be a reason.

And based on the observation that salt retains water, it would have to be for this reason that the body holds onto salt. In other words, it isn't "too much salt" that causes high blood pressure because the body would never retain salt without a reason - and certainly not to cause high blood pressure.

But the fact that there is salt retention suggests that it's because people don't drink enough water and thus they maintain a dehydrated state - "chronic dehydration".

Looking at this as the cause of high blood pressure, the mechanism is that when you don't drink enough water, the vessels actually constrict (not expand as the medical theory suggests). And because blood is around 94% water, the water deficiency reduces the water volume of the blood by around 8% - increasing its viscosity.

And it's the thicker blood combined with the constricted vessels (in response to the decreased water volume) that increases the workload on the heart and triggers high blood pressure.

I have always advocated increasing the water intake to fix high blood pressure. And while this is an accurate protocol, I have heard others say that it doesn't work.

It wasn't until I developed a case of high blood pressure myself that I realized that there was more to what I was advocating. The increased water intake is still true, but the idea behind increasing the water intake is to keep the cells fully hydrated. This is why the body retains water - as emergency rations to inject into dehydrated cells.

But I since learned that it's possible to drink water and not have it be absorbed into the cells. When this happens, it's not a matter of "drinking water doesn't work", but finding out why drinking water doesn't work.

I was prescribed Losartan to lower my blood pressure. Losartan works (ironically enough) by opening the vessels so blood can pass through easier. This kinda throws mud at the "too much water" theory, doesn't it?

In my own case, it seems that I wasn't eating enough fiber to hold water in the body long enough to be absorbed properly. I also started taking a magnesium supplement (which allows the cells to absorb water).

I have since found that my blood pressure appears to be improving.

My sincerest advice is to increase your water intake (and perhaps a slight salt intake, also). Give it time - don't expect it to be a "magic pill" that you only have to take once or until the blood pressure returns to normal.

If it doesn't seem to be doing any good, don't shrug it off as a bad idea - do some research and find out why it doesn't work. There's a problem in there that you need to figure out - and correct.

Medication only controls the problem, it doesn't correct it. You can't correct it until you know what is causing it. And this is one thing the medical profession doesn't know - if they did, they'd be fixing the problem instead of just maintaining it.

Always ask "WHY?"

BTW, this advice is never meant to tell you to stop taking any prescribed medication you may have. Both water and salt are compatible with any medication since both are vital nutrients the body needs to function.

Continue taking the medications as prescribed. When your doctor sees that your situation has changed, he will adjust or discontinue the prescription.

No. not really... 

Only if they pummeled you so hard with the BP monitor that your blood vessels burst. 

• ?

It could but not as bad as letting it run high and not knowing about it and taking no measures to help correct the situation

• Tavy

No, millions have thisctest and have high BP. A simple squeeze of the arm won't hurt.

No putting a blood pressure monitor on even if your blood pressure is high it's not going to damage you

• kelvin

no...................

I assume you mean because of the cuff being tight? Which won't cause anything more than a slight contusion. 

But chronic hypertension certainly can damage your circulatory system.