If the cost of senior care is so expensive, then why are elderly care givers paid so little?

• Peggy

CARE is big business these days.  None of it is done by our local authorities like it used to be when I was a kid.  Homes cost a lot to buy and lot to heat and paying the staff costs much more.  However, the charges do seem to be very high.  No doubt the difference will be because the people who bought those houses to turn into care homes did so because they saw the opportunity of making much money. Care is not given by charities any more.  It is bought at a high price.

I did stay in a senior home once.  When I negotiated my lease, I got in at the cheapest on the property--$1900 a month.  Okay, that means others paid more--duh.  Four of us could easily have gotten together, and bought a 4 bed room or bigger house, with a cook, and a weekly lawn maintenance, insurance and everything for may be $3500, and still had wiggle room for other expenses.  We could have taken care of each other--no doubt.  I told management I was very disappointed with the program he ran, and he let me out of the contract.  The 90% of the workers, servers, housekeeping, maintenance, were hardly old enough to come to work 40 hours a week with out somebody loosing there jobs.  Who got the money?  The big-assed corporation that runs the business and isn't even in our community.  Senor care thrives because our adult kids do not want parents in their home.  They want to park mom and pop out of the way so they are free to not care about old parents.  So, it's a no-brainer.  Supply and demand, and THAT is why corporations can charge high, profit high, and warehouse dying corpses.

• kswck2

It is not so much the people, rather it is the equipment to handle Every possibility-they Cost money to keep them working. And of course the Profits for the agencies. 

Because the owners of these care homes aim to make an enormous profit from their business. They are not in this work because they 'care' about the residents or because they 'care' about their residents' families. What they CARE about is their bank balance which seem to be increasing daily.

Their hourly rate is low but they make a lot of extra money from what they steal.

• Judith

If you are a client and are paying the care giver yourself, a minimum wage seems like a lot to you as the employer.  I know I couldn't afford a care giver.

When the media and Congress talks about medical care costs they are talking about the cost of tests, hospital care and doctors and prescriptions and how much it takes to keep a hospital running.  They are talking about the cost of assisted living and nursing homes.

When WE talk about the costs of medical care, we are normally thinking about the cost of our premiums for our health insurances.  For example, I pay premiums for Medicare, BCBS as a supplement and premiums for dental coverage.  I am also thinking about my out-of-pocket expenses.  Most people must pay at least 20% of medical bills - their copays and deductibles.

The PEOPLE who work in the health care field are paid according to their skills.  Most care givers for the elder and disabled are unskilled and do menial type work.  They either work in care facilities or for a company which provides in-home care.  Doctors, nurses, technicians, etc are paid a whole lot more because of the education and the training required.

• JASON

Private care homes make vast profits, but pay their staff peanuts.

I have always wondered that myself.  It does not compute.