Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Currently, I am training a chihuahua puppy to pee and poop outside, I do this by taking him outside many times a day and he ususally does?

well and even now sometimes is starting to run to his collar and leash when he has to go, but sometimes he does go in the house. When this happens are you supposed to punish your puppy in some way or just keep consistency in training? this is actually something I cant find in any training help sites, what do you do when your puppy keeps making mistakes and how do you let them know they did something wrong?

This dog gets a collar and leash every time, I live near a busy road, still in the country so a big back yard, but he is trained in some areas but still cars remain the bane of his existence and will not hesitate to lunge full force at an 18 wheeler barreling down our road. The previous owner said he somehow survived being hit by a car  early on so maybe he has some trauma that we need to work through. 

• "Currently, I am training a chihuahua puppy to pee and poop outside, I do this by taking him outside many times a day and he ususally does?"

🔸1: Learn that the breed's name is Chihuahua, with a capital letter.

🔹2: What you're doing is NOT the efficient way to train a dog to be house-clean.

🔸3: Learn to STOP when you reach the end of the field before finishing your sentence, then CHANGE the sentence so that it DOES end with your main question. Some long-ago idiot savant programmer wrote a loop that, when that first field DOESN'T end with a ❓ , puts one at the end, regardless of how stupid that is.

🔹4: Learn that what you've written in that top field is NOT supposed to be up there - that first field is supposed to END with your MAIN Question. Sadly, neither of your 2 later-on questions is suitable as a MAIN Question. The nearest you've typed to being a MAIN QUESTION would be

● "What do you do when your puppy keeps making mistakes and how do you let them know they did something wrong?"

But better would be:

● "What should I do when my puppy messes inside?"

Realise that "making mistakes" is what all dogs and people do. So "messes" is too VAGUE to be meaningful. I had to GUESS that you mean that he piddles or poos in the house.

Please read my 4 questions, plus anyone else's questions, scribble your answers somewhere (you probably won't SEE our messages while you are adding information to your Question), then:

☆ Click the [Edit] under your question, then

☆ click the [Add Update] that will appear, followed by

☆ typing the missing information into the empty area that will appear, to answer my queries plus add any other information that you now realise might be helpful to US!

💥Q1: What is your pet's AGE, and how long have you had him?

💥Q2: On your busiest day, how long is he "home alone", and where is he during those hours?

💥Q3: Does your home have a back door that opens straight into a securely fenced back yard?

• "well and even now sometimes is starting to run to his collar and leash when he has to go, but sometimes he does go in the house. When this happens are you supposed to punish your puppy in some way or just keep consistency in training?"

Until he is RELIABLY house clean you are SUPPOSED to watch him the WHOLE time he is awake, so you recognise his "Wanna go toilet!" signal (commonly an anxious nose-down circling for the smelliest bit of carpet or floorboards). You should soon be able to PREDICT when he will want to (how long after: #1: waking? #2: eating or drinking? #3: exercise or playing?)

👍🏼1: As soon as you SEE his signal you should talk cheerfully to him as you walk to him, pick him up, then give him some rubs as you carry him to the back yard. There you put him down and stand boringly still & silent until he remembers what he wanted to do, so DOES it. You then "come alive" and enthusiastically praise him (e.g.: "Good boy Toby TOILET! Toby went TOILET! Clever boy Toby TOILET!") then reward him (a pea-sized bit of food? A game of Ball-Chase or Tug-o'-War? An on-leash walk to a place where he can lead you along interesting-to-him scent trails?)

👍🏼2: If you were distracted until the second he crouched, you roar "NOOOOO!" and stamp your foot, followed by - before he has recovered from his surprise - picking him up etc as in 👍🏼1 .

• "this is actually something I cant find in any training help sites,"

UNBELIEVABLE!

A search for "puppy toilet training" produces 28,900,000 results❗️ Try doing it NOW! Make sure that whatever YOU try as an experiment starts with "dog" or "pup" or "puppy" followed by whatever words YOU meant for "toilet training".

And by-the-way, your "cant" is VERY different to the word "can't" that you SHOULD have typed. Look up both words in: https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/ and REMEMBER the difference.

• "what do you do when your puppy keeps making mistakes and how do you let them know they did something wrong?"

Mine DON'T keep making "mistakes". My cleverest home-bred pup learnt at 8 to 8½ weeks old, the afternoon her last litter mate was collected. It took her 3 nights to learn that she is NOT allowed in my always-open bedroom - she was allowed to lie anywhere in the passageway or den. But GSDs are ranked #3 on the list of intelligence & trainability. Chihuahuas are ranked 125th of the 138 breeds that were ranked by at least 100 of the 300 Canadian & USA obedience judges in: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intelligence_of_... Depending on WHERE you live there are between 350 and 666 recognised dog breeds.

• "Update: This dog gets a collar and leash every time,"

💥Q4: What on EARTH does that mean?

"gets" is too vague. You MIGHT mean that he FETCHES collar & leash and brings them to you to tell you that he needs to go outside. You MIGHT mean that you CLIP them onto his neck or his warm jacket (if his own coat isn't adequate). But both my guesses might be wrong.

• "I live near a busy road, still in the country so a big back yard,"

That is NOT an answer to my 💥Q3. But it is a VERY bad HINT!

Both my boyhood pups and my first pup (1967) after marriage were raised in rural areas, as were the several GSDs we had during our 5 years in a very different rural area.

For dog owners, the back yard must be FENCED in a way that cannot be jumped over, nor let the dog slide between the wires, nor dig under the bottom wire.

If YOUR yard ISN'T adequately fenced then you either build a roofed pen with a raised sleeping box at the far end (see my 4-GSD's pens - that property IS fenced, but I want to be SURE that they can't chase a stray cat or whatever while I'm asleep. That pic was taken while I was getting my breakfast ready) or your Chihuahua lives in an escape-proof shed when it is not on-leash.

• "but he is trained in some areas but still cars remain the bane of his existence and will not hesitate to lunge full force at an 18 wheeler barreling down our road. The previous owner said he somehow survived being hit by a car  early on so maybe he has some trauma that we need to work through."

He CAN'T lunge out of a properly FENCED and GATED yard. He shouldn't be strong enough to LUNGE the leash out of your hands while he is on-leash.

While driving school buses in 2 different districts I had to accept driving over 2 piglets that raced across the road in front of the bus near Pungarehu, and near Ohingaiti had to hit the stray farm-dog that charged at the bus's front wheel. On narrow country gravel roads, the children's lives & safety are more important than a dog's or pig's.

But Chihuahuas are notorious for having NO sense of how tiny & fragile they are. Ask your library whether they can get a copy of "D is for Dog" by Frank Manolson. On his Chihuahua page he writes about seeing village Chihuahuas pack hunting peccaries on the British Caribbean islands. But THOSE Chihuahuas were a LOT bigger than yours is.

Les the aged Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

Maybe you just need to see some of the sites that actually teach you how to potty train your dog.  There are many ways to go about it & you just need to find the way or method that works for you.  Google, 'how to potty train a puppy' & check out the different ways people go about this.  What works great on one pup may not work on another.

My yard is large and fenced, but when my dog began looking like he might need to go out, I always went out with him - or at least when he was a puppy.  He made a "mistake" in the house?  I said nothing, cleaned it up in a very matter of fact fashion.  I have never rewarded with treats, but I did reward with lavish praise.  I then got a second puppy (my first dog was about 10 months old) and the second puppy followed the first dog everywhere.  He went outside?  She went outside?  I really never housebroke her.  My first dog did.  I have also never kenneled a dog.

• ?

My method may have been unorthodox or "incorrect," but whatever, it worked. I ignored him when he went potty in the house (he only ever peed), I would take him outside without a word, and leave him out for 5-10 minutes or so. I would clean up the mess, best I could, and try, try again. Dogs HATE being ignored. He has only had 3 accidents in the house, and all were because I failed to understand his cues or missed the door by seconds. Oh well. I never yelled, never punished. That's totally counter-productive and gets nothing done. When he went potty outside after his boo-boos, I would praise and treat the hell out of him, so positive cues for doing what he needed to do OUTSIDE. Even now, over the age of one, from time to time, I will still shout a GOOD BOY! at him when he goes outside to reinforce, but we haven't had an accident for a year. He was whip-smart at 5 months and wouldn't pee in the house now if his life depended on it. I don't count the accidents he had after his neuter surgery, the poor thing. He looked so ashamed at not making it outside! But again, oh well. He was groggy and sleepy and had a bad time of it. Again, no yelling, no punishing for something like that. 

Keep up the positive reinforcement when he goes outside, and I mean, make a HUGE production of it. Say GOOD BOY, BEST BOY, YAY! over and over and treat, treat, treat, love, love, love. He will pick up that outside gets him praise and love, inside gets him nothing. NOTHING. No hitting, no rubbing his nose in it, no affection, nothing. Calmly take him outside, clean up, try, try again. NO PUPPY PADS, either. 

And many dogs that make the house their home, feel comfortable enough, will not pee or poop in the house. They don't like messes where they live. As in nature, caves, dens they create for themselves, they will still use the bathroom outside of their dens. You dog, being a puppy, may not feel at home just yet, but he will. Just keep at it. Positive reinforcement, and NO PUNISHING. 

Tone of voice is probably your best training tool.  Dogs are the one animal that pick up the "good dog" tone and the "bad dog" tone.  Don't have to do it loudly but be consistent.

Also, for this tiny dog, don't waste time running for the collar & leash, just show him the spot and say baaaad and quickly carry him out to yard.  Be sure to praise him when he does the right thing.

• Maxi

Reality is it depends on how old the pup is and if it is toileting in the house then it is YOU who needs 'punishment' as you are not taking the pup out enough, likely getting a bit fed up or not observing your pup as much, giving it too much freedom....so the pup is making choices you don't like.... so step up as owner and trainer, keep an eye on the pup, stop giving it freedom to make bad/poor decisions and take it out more.

You are unlikely to find an answer online as it depends on age, temperament of pup and your training technique.........and too many owners fall into poor methods of training and 'telling it off' can lead to more confusion in the pup as well as set up a pup to be anxious