Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 2 months ago

My self esteem is low due to mental health, will I ever get a boyfriend?

I've dated and things seem to go well but no one wants to be with me

I've got mental health issues but I maintain relationship with family and friends well

Do you think a partner expects different to what family and friends want? 

Favorite Answer

There are different expectations with a partner, but since a relationship is a two way street you just have to find someone who is understanding of your situation. I don't believe you have to love yourself before you can love someone else. Things like depression, for example, aren't curable, just maintained, so to tell someone something like that is to essentially tell them they will never be with someone. I agree you should never stop working on yourself, though, and to keep trying to improve so you can find a happy medium. You're going to have your ups and downs still, but to have someone around who supports you, loves you, understands what you're going though, and can help you through them, can make all the difference. Just do your best not to let your mental health hold you back. Keep putting yourself out there, but work on your self esteem at the same time. Do things that make you feel good. Whether that means a little makeup, the clothes you wear, working out, what you eat, dying your hair, etc. You don't have to outright love yourself for someone to be able to love you, but it doesn't hurt if you at the very least like and can tolerate who you are. Your mental health issues are a part of who you are now. Don't think of it as a negative thing that is holding you back, but a challenge that's going to make you a stronger person overall. If you can clearly show to potential partners that you're always putting in the effort to improve and fighting this thing, the one's that are willing to take the time will respond much better than the idiots who think mental health issues are something you can just get over. Some people just aren't going to understand, though, which is something you'll just have to get used to. Don't be so hard on yourself. You'll get there. You can do this. I believe in you. Keep pushing forward and you'll be fine. I wish you the best of luck and hope you find someone who aids in making you happy.

• ?

"Do you think a partner expects different to what family and friends want?"

Yes of course.

That's not the issue though. You could meet Mr Perfect and it still won't make you feel good about yourself. A relationship will not make you happy if you're not already.

You need to treat your mental health issues and work on your self-esteem first.

• ?

sure there is someone for everyone.

• ?

poor baby ........................................