Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Would you consider this stealing?

I went to the store to cash in some winning lotto scratchers. I had won like $50. But the cashier hands me $80. I just took it and walked out. I think he may have been confused cause I had scratched a $30 prize that I hadn't won but he scanned them first so I have no idea why he gave me extra $30.

So would you consider this stealing even though it was clearly his mistake? 

It is stealing. And I think you know it, so are 'asking', hoping someone will come up with an answer to justify your actions. Your guilt/question about this, shows you do have a conscience. Has as it occurred to you that maybe you were the one who made the mistake and by questioning it, you would have saved this attack on your conscience?  I can't see that keeping  a 'lousy' $30 is worth all this grief. You should have spoken up. 

Yes, it was stealing. Ecause you know full right well that an error occurred and that extra $30 was not yours to take.

In your zest to get away with that $30, someone may have lost their job, which would effect them terribly, long after you spent that $30. 

But, luckily, you can still return it. Because if you do not, trust me, karma will catch up with you when you least expect it and it will sting.

What goes around, comes around.

Yes, it is morally considered stealing. You know it was wrong or you would not be in doubt. However, legally, the legal defense is at the time the transaction occurred, you believed you were entitled to the money you received as the cashier scanned your tickets and gave you $80. The End. So, feel free to keep going to that store. 

Next, legally, nearly all criminal law acts involve intent and all theft crimes do involve intent. Therefore, a defense attorney would have to prove that you intended to defraud the store of the additional $30 by for example: altering the ticket, so it would scan the $30 as a win. 

This one chalks up to the cashier error and at some point the store has to make up for the difference of giving you $30 that was not earned and wont be redeemed from the state lotto now. 

People have the misperception that every act aka you not returning to admit you received too much money, now means a crime was committed, police report wàs filed, and the cops are reviewing footage when in reality, no evidence of deception, therefore no crime was committed,  its only $30, and no one has time to go through all of that for a mistake at the convenience store. 

Of course it's stealing.  There's no point in trying to figure out WHY he gave you extra money.  Clearly he made a mistake of some sort.  Do you plan to go back and return the $30?  I hope so.  

The definition of "steal" is to take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

What you did comes under that category.  You cannot justify your bad behavior because someone else makes a mistake.  When the register is counted at the end of his shift, the employee may have to pay the $30.  Give it back--you know you were wrong.

Places I've worked would have suspended or fired the cashier for that. Are you okay knowing someone lost a job during COVID because of your greed? 

It's too late now. If the register was short, that person has already been punished. 

BIG NO!  you didnt do anything wrong!   it was the cashier's mistake and not yours..... it was his lost and your gain.   You just got a bonus because he/she cannot count..... 

I have been in a few situation like this but there is no way I could return the "mistake".   I bought a lot of groceries from a supermarket.   And I bought 2 similar items and the cashier only put one item in the bill.   Another one,   fast food rest.   I bought two fries and one burger.... the cashier only counted one fries.....  Am I supposed to bring back the items?  of course not.   Because I needed the items and it wasnt my mistake.  

The only time you need to be honest is when you pay your bill at a supermarket or a restaurant and the cashier/waiter gives too much change.   Just tell the person and return the money.....

yes cause you didnt give it back

As I understand it, those lottery scanning machines pretty much take the guesswork out of determining how much a customer won on a ticket. My guess is you did win a "bonus" game on one of the tickets and that accounts for the unexpected $30. 

But, if this happened today and it's on your conscience, by all means call the store and ask to speak to someone in customer service. Did you surrender your tickets (at least in my state, you can keep them if you want)? If you left them there, maybe they can search through to make sure yours was a legit winner.

You'll feel better and the clerk, if he somehow misread $50 as $80, will definitely appreciate your honesty.

Actually, at least in PA you don't even have to "play" the game on the ticket. At the grocery store where I worked, some customers just scratched the "scan box" at the bottom and collected their winnings, although that sorta takes the fun right out of it IMO.

No. Not necessarily. You could have won more and didn't realize it especially if it's one of those with scratchers with multiple winning numbers. I have done that a few times.

Plus he scanned them so the responsibility lies with him.