Computer build?

How many watts is okay for the power supply of my Ryzen 5 3600, B550 MOBO? Mine overclocked because the seller gave me a lousy Sapphire 16 gb secondhand videocard and low quality power supply even when I just bought it. Any tips :( Note: I'm a gamer.

I spent more than 1k dollars on this computer set. 

To the anonymous on the reply section. This is my first time buying my personal computer. I don't even care if you think that a real gamer would be knowledgeable about computer build. I have always been a gamer but I used to play on rental computer shops, so how would I know?? That's why I'm asking what power supply is best!!! I am not bragging for the cost of my computer, it's from my savings!! 

Favorite Answer

Go to some popular computer power supply makers.  They have calculators for the best, standard, and acceptable models (price varies).

The video card power recommendation is most important.  Since you gave no model number of that "sapphire 16gb secondhand video card", you should go to Sapphire website and find what is recommended as minimum for it (that considers average mb, CPU, and a few drives, fans, more accessories drawing power also).

Once you know about what to plug into the calculator at whatever brand, you can get an idea of capacity needed.  A good rule is always buy larger and best quality level.

Good brands are EVGA, Corsair, Seasonic, a few others I have seen.  A couple hundred is not unreasonable for the larger ones.

Get an uninterruptible filtered battery backup supply unit.  APC, CyberPower, Tripplite are fine.  Buy not for "VA" level, but "WATTS" it can put out.  Wattage is always 70% of volt-amps.  And if your computer draws more, the battery lasts shorter time.  Good units have a USB cord and shutdown software to do an automatic turn off that will not mess up the operating system.  Besides the battery powered computer and monitor sockets, there are other non-battery sockets that are filtered for accessories like more monitors, printer, TV, game box, etc.  Also better ones have coax cable and ethernet ports that go through filters.  Many larger ones have a front display for information on its operation.  Some can be programmed for special functions.

If you buy one by wattage, don't draw more than 80% of the battery power rating.  That means if your whole gaming outfit draws 800W when cranking hard, you should buy for 1000W level capacity from the battery sockets.  That would mean 1000/0.70 or about 1430VA, so get a 1500VA level model at least.  Get a good reviewed larger model.

I run an Asus Z97 board with an i7-4770K CPU not overclocked, some case fans, one HDD and a couple SSDs, and a small LCD monitor, some USB HDDs from my CyberPower 1500VA that is rated at 900W (?)  but I never draw more than 400W (I checked with a watt meter).  I run some flight simulators from that and other computers that have similar power requirements and uninterruptible supply units.

I have replaced batteries in my older units after quite a few years.

You can buy computer power supplies and battery units for less at special sales now.

Most people don;t worry about the power supply and concentrate on the cpu and gpu.

Most companies will put in a power supply that is fine for what they sell, generally I would go for a higher one than the stock as it means you have less issues if you in future go for a future upgrade to a GPU that needs more power.

Overclocking doesn't add much its the gpu that can increase things if you go for a top of the range.

Generally 550 would be for a simple PC not gaming GPU, 650 probably fine for low end gpu 750-850 is what you want for higher end GPU.