Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 2 months ago

What are the names "Wendy" and "Bessie" nicknames for, respectively?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Bessie is for Elizabeth 

I've always though Wendy was a nickname for Gwendolyn and Winnifred. I knew someone named Gwendolyn who went by Wendy. 

• 1 month ago

'Wendy' is an invention of the children's writer, J.M.Barrie, for his fairy tale 'Peter Pan'. 

'Bessie' is a nickname derived from 'Elizabeth'. ; other being Eliza, Liza, Lisa, Liz, Bet, Betty, Bess, Bessie. & Bethan. 

Queen Elizabeth (I) of England was known, amongst other names, as 'Good Queen Bess'.  

• 1 month ago

Wendy as far as I know is a name on its own.

Bessie is short for Elizabeth, though I don’t see how.

• Kevin
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Wendy - 

Gwendolyn 

Wendeline/Wendaline

Guinevere 

Would also work as a nickname for any name containing ‘wen’ like

Arianwen 

Rowen 

Carwen 

Rowena 

Bessie - 

Elizabeth 

Would also work with any name containing Beth

Bethany 

Bethea

Elsbeth 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Wendy [Gwendoline],  Bessie [ Elizabeth ].

• 2 months ago

Wenfy is for Gwendolen or Gwen when it's a nickname rather than the full name. Bessie or Bessy is for .Elizabeth usually.

• tony
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Wendy [winnie.. Wendi, Wendie, Wendye.Wen, Wends, Wendolyn, Wenny, Wendola.Wendeline , Wendee , Wenda , Wendye , Wuendy ,  Wende , Wendi , Wendey , Windy , 

Bessie [bess...elisabeth

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Actually, Wendy is an Anglo-Saxon nickname for Odin, Odin being the All Father in Norse mythology. The Anglo-Saxon version of Odin is Woden. Woden is the name from which the name of the day of the week Wednesday is derived.

Odin being the All Father in Norse mythology. Wendy was always a boys' name until J. M. Barrie wrote The Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up, better known as Peter Pan, and named the main female character in it Wendy Darling. Due to the massive popularity of that book, people started naming girls Wendy. That resulted in a precipitous decline in parents naming boys Wendy. Ever since, it's been a girl's name. Nevertheless, it actually is a boy's name, a nickname for Odin, or Woden. 

Bessie is a nickname for Elizabeth.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Wendy is the English form of the Welsh name Gwendoline.  Bessie is a pet form of Elizabeth.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.