Laptop advice? ?

I know nothing about laptop terminology but am looking to buy a new one. I need to easily run several large softwares at once (im a scientist and have lots of weird science softwares for large data handling and microscopy images etc). Also need somewhat of a large memory but I have an external hard drive so not the end of the world. Ideally a disc drive too, but not too heavy as I have to carry it around every day!

Please suggest laptops (ideally under £850) or what I need to be looking for in terms of specs and Terminology! Thank you!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

a laptop is a go slow save battery kind of pc. A more lightweight laptop is a costalotta money kind of pc. 

Most laptops are made profitable to sell by providing cut down features eg you buy one with 4gb or ram instead of 8gb of ram, and internally it will have a missing ram slot to save money. Even choosing an 8gb one may result in still only one ram device fitted so you still cant upgrade it (so if a pc maker actually states a pc is fitted with 2x4gb then it should have 2 slots but if it just says 8gb fitted then you cannot assume it has the ability to take say 16gb of ram ie 2x8gb unless its all as one device ie 1x16gb). The CHIPSET of any PC determines what features(ram capacity and cpu type/model) that can be fitted. This is further restricted by the BIOS which contains the CONFIGURATION data for any possible cpu that is allowed to be fitted and the pc maker is under no obligation whatsoever to add new CPU configurations into BIOS updates. So buying a less capable laptop in the hope of doing upgrades later may be disappointing.Also a laptop is designed to operate at a certain Wattage so adding a higher wattage CPU is usually NOT recommended. 

Hard drives are now so BIG, that to run big programs you just need more RAM. Anything less than 8gb of fitted ram will not run well with a full antivirus installed. 16GB of RAM should allow most big programs to operate well. Older chipsets may have a 32gb limit for fitted RAM or even less and a cheaper OS may not support more than that.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/... for your budget a laptop with Intel Core i5-10300H Quad core cpu and 16gb ram would be about the best you could get. A dedicated GPU should add the ability for a large high density monitor to be connected.You can lookup a Benchmark for a cpu and get a very good idea of its capabilities. The PASSMARK benchmark of around 8000 is a good value to aim at with a 4 core cpu and single thread score of around 2200 or more.https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Cor... https://www.box.co.uk/FX506LH-HN002T-ASUS-TUF-Gami...

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Memory has nothing to do with disk capacity, it is not like a cell phone.  Applications (running concurrently) need space to run, that is memory.

Big processes need big memory.  Apps with lots of calculations needs multiple cores/cpus.  There is a fine line between number of cpus and cooling.

You need to profile the things you run now, how big they get, how cpu bound they are.  Then multiply by 2.  That will tell you what laptop might work.

• 2 months ago

Look for cpu speed. The other issues are normally of adequate size/capacity.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.