What space age or science fiction technology would you like to see be invented during your lifetime?

The matter transporter.

This device would change humanity instantly, irrevocably and for all time. Imagine if Paris was as close as your kitchen, or if you could instantly send relief supplies to the Sudan from your home or from a “station”.

The sociological implications would be huge too. A society that arrives rather than travels would be one that changed. There would be no random street interactions, no romances that sprung up. It might be an invitation to even greater isolation. Although the transporter could be programmed to take you to a random party or bar where you could mingle and meet with people to find friends and lovers. 

Now imagine if the matter transporter worked over distance and that you could transport yourself or your possessions from here to Mars. The concept of distance would no longer have any meaning. 

Your kitchen could be in Boston and your living room in Alaska and your backyard could be in Tanzania and so on and moving from one room to another would be instantaneous and seamless. There would be no “house” anymore - there might only be “rooms” that could be reprogrammed such that when you walked out your front door, you found yourself in your friend’s vestibule.

The transporter has the opportunity to change mankind, to give us back our commute time, or to further isolate us and create even more loneliness.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

The transporting and reassembling of human particles.

• 2 months ago

It has been invented but not widespread.  They take your white blood cells and "train" them to attack cancer cells.  They have been able to bring people back from Stage 4 cancer this way. 

• 2 months ago

The one that would put such inquiries in the section of YA that they BELONG in, which in this case would be Polls & Surveys.

• 2 months ago

The Simpsons bought a transporter pair at a yard sale in the "Treehouse Of Horror VIII" for 35 cents.  Check out what Homer and Bart used it for. I liked the "remote bathroom" idea the best.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • alan P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Teleportation sounds like a good idea but everything has unintended consequences.  Larry Niven wrote a number of stories looking at the effects instant transportation would have on crime, tourism and social life.

• John
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Back in the Star Trek TV days an actual physicist did the actual calculations. Using the computer memory of the day, admittedly crude. In order to assign each molecule in the human body a space in memory would have required all the matter in the known universe.

So that would be a no.

• 2 months ago

As others have stated - the transporter would be very cool... although I'd bet the airlines would lobby against it. Then, there's simply a food replicator - or, just a replicator that makes *anything*... give it some raw material (like a charcoal briquette), and get a diamond out of it... Imagine starvation being a thing of the past. And not having to spend 2-3 months salary on an engagement ring. Several times, in some cases... 

But... I'd like to propose the light sabre.  I feel it's less work to produce than a transporter or replicator, and just *think* of the ease when pruning hedges... or, the neighbor's trees with branches in your yard. Need a window in a wall that doesn't have one?  Just gimme a minute. Of course, there's some safety training that would be needed to go along with it - dropping it at the wrong time could mean you suddenly have fewer limbs...  But, aside from that, it would be the coolest new tool next to rotary power tool... 

• 2 months ago

Faster than Light Travel

But the E part of E=Mc^2 is the problem

It would literally need the power of a Supernova 

Incidently the Doctor Who series showed such to be the power source of his Tardis

Attachment image
    Source(s): Supernova
  • 2 months ago

Getting E=mc^2 to work on any matter to give us limitless energy ,anywhere .

• 2 months ago

Arguably, a matter transporter kills anyone who climbs into it and creates a clone with their memories at the other end.  They're not desirable machines by any means.

I think I'd probably want an easy and perfect sex change machine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.