Ethan asked in SportsFootball (American) · 2 months ago

Is this years Steelers the worst 11-0 team ever ?

What's worst is how everytime this time of the season the refs try to make the game abut them keep your dam flags in you pocket .

year's

Try doing your English homework this semester Ethan.

• Mike W

Seems like they're doing pretty well this season.  They're winning against their tougher opponents, and they're winning against teams that they're expected to beat, instead of playing down to the level of their weaker opponents and losing those games.  

I'll say this: there's a reason for both optimism and pessimism, though more of the latter. Yes, Pittsburgh is 11-0 and that counts for something, when they sucked as Mike Tomlin said postgame, they done just enough to win.  But right there is the problem -- doing just enough to win when you suck for the majority of the game is a recipe for disaster in the playoffs, namely going up against Kansas City. And let me be brutally honest...yesterday's game with Baltimore should not be close.  Not with that practice squad they sent out...a ragtag defense shut down your running game enough to make Ben Roethlisberger throw 50+ passes?! Seriously?! I get divisional games tend to be close, but that's no excuse. Even the Dallas Cowboys should have beaten the Pittsburgh Steelers, and we know how horrendous they are this season. I'm gonna stop short of saying they're the worst 11-0 team, but here's the bottom line...Pittsburgh will be a top 2 AFC seed.  Super Bowl?! Forget it.  You're not gonna neutralize Patrick Mahomes and the rest of the Chiefs offense without a running game, and considering key defenders are lost for the rest of the season I wouldn't be shocked to see Tennessee get their revenge. Maybe Indianapolis and Buffalo lose to the Steelers in the next 5 weeks and avenge the defeat in the playoffs.  Downvote me all you want, Steelers fans, this isn't a Super Bowl team.  That's the cold reality.

• Fin

The critics love to argue that they are.  However, what are they expecting?  This season, where because of the pandemic, has limited training camps, eliminated the preseason, and disrupted the Steelers (and others') schedule and any hope of continuity beyond recognition.

The thing is, they're still winning and style points aren't a factor in seedings.

As a fan it's been fun to watch, even through those heart attack games.  My biggest fear is that they're not going to be healthy enough in the playoffs since they lost their week 8 bye (having to take it in week 3 or 4).  Bush and Dupree are out - which is huge, hopefully Tuitt & Pouncey come back.

• David

Please define a BAD 11-0 team.

Based on what? I'm laughing about the comments saying well based on yesterday's game. First off Steelers/Ravens is a HUGE Rivalry and these two teams don't score or have large margin of victories. Yesterday's game was pretty typical. In fact anyone that actually pays attention would know the Steelers getting the season sweep says something about how good they are this year. I couldn't say they are the worst, but I also have no idea what other teams made it to 11-0. I'm not going to look it up and look up who those teams played because I know no one wants a REAL answer.

Add: Not going to argue with what Johnathan said for the most part. It's a lot of good and fair points. Thing to remember though is that Pittsburgh historically plays down to their opponent's level. Still doing enough to beat Dallas and the shorthanded Ravens(for example) is a major improvement to their history. The run game is a real concern. No I don't think they would have been much better if Conner had been playing. 

• Nick

they looked pretty bad yesterday

No, they are the BEST 11-0 team ever.  Of all the teams to ever start 11-0, only the 2020 Steelers still have a chance to be 19-0.  That makes them the best because their ceiling is higher than all other 11-0 teams in history.

They may be the worst, but at 11-0 they are better than everyone else.