What is the key to product and brand longevity, specifically entertainment property longevity?

Hi. As someone who wants to produce his own animation and comics and publish and monetize them online, I am curious about this.

What makes certain cartoon, comic, video game properties, and other entertainment properties last longer than others?

What makes them become household names and makes people want to care about them decades later?

Super Mario Bros. is a spin-off of Mario Bros., of course. The original Super Mario Bros. game came out back in 1985 and 3 and a half-decades later it's still popular and culturally-relevant. The SMB series is such a big deal Nintendo held a celebration celebrating the original game's 35th anniversary.

People still care about Looney Tunes. There's a new series on HBO Max.

People still care about DuckTales and Animaniacs, apparently. Both series were rebooted.

I don't know too much about Hollywood studios celebrating anniversaries and/or birthdays of classic Golden Age cartoon characters, but Warner Bros. released a special cartoon compilation DVD celebrating Bugs Bunny's 80th anniversary. 

I was at the Warner Bros. Store in NYC back in the '90s when I was in art school when they were celebrating Daffy Duck's 60th birthday.

Apparently people still care about DC and Marvel characters which have been around for decades.

I'm just naming and using certain entertainment properties as examples.

Please help- thank you.

Are there any good books out about product and brand longevity, specifically entertainment property longevity? 

I would like to know this- I would like to know what it would take to make my cartoons and comics last a long time.

I remember being on the DC Comics Message Boards years ago and someone gave me the name of a book. I don't remember the exact name. I think have might have been The Turning Point but I don't know. I had a printout of a screenshot from the old DCMB that had the title of this book on it but I don't know what I did with it. I hope I can find it.

There are no answers yet.
Be the first to answer this question.