Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

Isn't this normal or something else?

We are always encouraged to follow our dreams and goals.

If my goals are to be a good person, to have a decent or high paying job, to work in a industry I would enjoy, to be healthier & fitter, to look better, to have more friends (since I don't have any), to have more pleasure (since I went through a lot of pain), does that make me greedy?

Someone said wanting more friends, more money, more pleasure makes you greedy.

But what if you don't have much to begin with? For example no friends, hardly any money. And even if you have much of these blessings, we are always encouraged to go after our dreams and goals. So does following our dreams make us greedy? I always thought following our dreams was a good and positive thing? To improve one's own life?

There's nothing wrong with wanting a better life. God made us to enjoy the good things He created, to be social, to enjoy satisfying work. It's true though that the love of money is the root of all sorts of injurious things (1 Timothy 6:10). Just focusing on pleasure can cause us to ignore God. He especially wants us to look forward to His kingdom soon to come, and to love and serve Him (Matthew chapter 24, and 7:21-23). To learn more see JW.org.

• Carmen

It's normal to have dreams and want to follow them if applicable and as long as you don't mistreat others in the process to succeed

then that's greed and not showing any natural affection for others. To each their own. Nothing wrong with wanting to better yourself or having a nice job, place or true friends. It's the love of money that's the root of all evil. Stay true to to yourself and be a leader not a follower in life.