Is it a violation of a protection order if I tell the person to stop recording me and to shut up?

Saw them on the city bus and they laughed at me. I told them I'm getting custody back and they started to record me. I walked towards them and they mentioned the restraining order. All I said was IDC and told them to shut the **** up. They recorded it and filed to hold me in contempt. What will happen

I can only guess that you did not read the restraining order.

If that person approached you first..THEY violated the order because they also must avoid contact with you, as well.

Please refrain from acting emotionally to a legal matter because laws are laws, and emotions do not count as a defense in a restraining order situation. Obey the laws.

I do not know what the penalty is for breaking a restraining order in your state. I suppose you can wait and see what happens. Look, the judge saw good reason to slap you with that order. If you ever want a relationship with your child, I suggest you wise up and take anger management courses or get DBT counseling in order to learn how to cope and handle yourself. Do it for yourself so you can have the joy of being part of your child's life. Look, your relationship did not work out with your child's other parent. Deal with it, accept it and move on.

Because, otherwise, you will be doing jail time in your future...just adding more reason for a judge to keep you away from your child. Wise up.

• Lili

Why did you even speak to this person, let alone "walk towards him/her?

That was incredibly stupid and a violation of the protection order.

You could indeed be held in contempt.

Did your lawyer not tell you what NOT to do? EVER?

Consult him or her immediately.

If the protection order specifically stated have no contact then you need to just ignore that person and keep your distance.  It would have been best to just exit the bus as soon as you saw them, but sometimes that's not practical and could be defended such as if waiting for the next bus would cause you to be late for work or an appointment or if waiting for another bus wasn't even an option.  In that case don't speak to that person or acknowledge their existence just keep as much distance as possible between you and them.  As long as you don't bother them or interfere with them in any way, you should be fine.  In this case you should not have said a word, just looked the other way.  Because you said "IDC, shut the ***** up" and they recorded it they can play the recording for the police and the judge and you WILL be arrested for violation of the protection order.  To answer your question, Yes, it's a violation to say anything at all.  You can't even tell them not to record you.  You just let them do what they do and look the other way, now you can expect to be arrested, go to jail and face serious charges.  

• Neil

No. What you said is not a violation. Talking to them at all is the violation. Not getting off the bus when you saw them is the violation.

As soon as you rose from your seat and communicated with them, there is no legal recourse on your part. Sitting on the same bus could easily be declared coincidental although your act was not. You should have ignored the individual and remained in your seat.

If they have a valid restraining order against you, anything short of GETTING OFF the bus without acknowledging their presence is a violation of the order.

Note: It is 100% legal to record EVERYTHING occurring on a public bus. In fact, the recording is 100% admissible evidence you were ALREADY in violation of the order.

• Bruce

That is clearly a violation. What happens is up to the court. They are likely to overlook a coincidental encounter on the bus, but you will almost certainly be held accountable for approaching them and talking to them. 

Did you violate what the order said?  That would be how you tell and since we can't read it......

They are provoking a situation that they claim they live in fear of. They could of left the bus when you got on to keep them self safe.

I think you are in the clear, they were violating your rights.