Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

What is the point of getting/adopting a dog, If you'll only be devastated when it comes time to put it down?

It always ends the same way... with having to put your pet down, because it's body begins to fail and it's only suffering. What is the point of having a pet, when you can just be alone and never have to feel this pain?

The same applies to when you are in a relationship with a person; the person might die before you, or the relationship may fail. But what a boring life never to have enjoyed being together!  Same with dogs, our hearts are always big enough to offer a home to the next one.

“The Legacy”

(author unknown)

When humans die, they make a will

To leave their homes and all they have

to those they love.

I, too, would make a will if I could write:

"To some poor wistful, lonely stray

I leave my happy home,

My dish, my cosy bed, my cushioned chair, my toy.

The well loved lap, the gentle stroking hand,

the loving voice,

The place I made in someone's heart,

The love that at the last could help me to

a peaceful painless end

Held in loving arms.

If I should die, Oh do not say,

"No more a pet I'll have,

to grieve me by its loss"

Seek out some lonely, unloved dog

And give my place to him.

This is the legacy I leave behind -

'tis all I have to give."

Many do not because of this reason, my parents wouldnt get me a pet when I was a kid because my dad just cant handle death, it is always devastating to him. As an adult I feel that I can handle it, and there are many dogs out there who need a warm loving home. Think about all the dogs who die while lying out in the cold rain, starving and shivering to death, I would rather it be a peaceful moment where the dog is with their loving owner, even if it hurts. 

This is a good question and as, year on year, we lost our beloved hounds, one I ask myself repeatedly these days.  This year I have lost what may well be the last of a breed I've spent since 1972 with, loving, showing, breeding etc. and immediately felt that was it.   Never again.   However my mind has slightly shifted of late although finding an oldie, via a Rescue Group is proving more than difficult!   I just miss the ways of the breed, the smell even, so badly.  We'll see.   I do still have a dog, of another breed and just hope she stays around for a while yet.   Not having a dog at all would be impossible, for me.

The point is having a dog, for those who do, is not something any of us wants not to have, heartbreaking as it is to lose them.   I guess the benefits far outweigh such losses.

• Jojo

The joy of owning a dog that brings so much pleasure and companionship to it's owner, far outweighs the pain felt when they die. JMO.

I agree.  This is why I have chosen to never marry.  You met, you fall in love, you get married, one of you dies (the vows address until death do you part), you suffer, why bother?

• Maxi

Living being all have a time limit including you....so it is about having some maturity and understanding that concept........

When dogs are a passion, you accept that they don't have a long lifespan.  You know from the very beginning that it won't be with you for your whole lifetime.  The love you get from a dog is unconditional.  Their antics are hilarious & they are great companions, they guard their homes, I cannot imagine a life without dogs.  I only have one right now but I am used to having about 5 at most times.  I rescued large & extra large dogs to give them their last forever home.  I can't save them all & I love the big dogs so I did what I could, while I could.

• ?

Yes, all creatures including humans have an expiration date. I guess you don’t want to be married or have kids because they may die before you some day.  It’s a part of life that we all have deal with.  But just think what you would miss by shutting yourself off from pets or humans.