Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsRespiratory Diseases · 2 months ago

Why does noone discuss some of the negative health risks wearing masks has on people?

I've seen someone have nose bleeding after wearing a particular mask, sometimes when I wear masks I have a headache or feel like it's restricting my breathing. Also I hear breathing ik through makes is very toxic to the lungs.  What do you guys have to say about this? I get they're supposed to protect others, but what about the people who are sensitive to the masks?

Favorite Answer

I am one of the people who felt nauseous and get headaches from wearing mask.  I found the $2 cotton masks at Target much more comfortable, then ones that are homemade.

Additionally, if you want more protection get a KN95 mask.  They are about $30 for 10.  These should fit close on the sides but actually provide a space so the mask is not right next to your nose and mouth.

And to the people who say "suck it up, healthcare providers do it" - i've asked plenty of healthcare providers in the last 8 months how they can wear the the mask comfortably and I can't  = they don't say "BS", they say yeah that happens and provide no advice. 

You mean like suffocation, toxic chemical smells from the manufacturing process and breathing in toxic cloth particles that break away from the mask itself?

Hell, my family wears 2 face masks the doctors told us nurses and other health workers wear 2 for better protection! If you can't stand wearing a mask try a face shield!

Unless you have a serious condition like COPD, there is no valid excuse for NOT wearing a mask. You're describing anxiety or claustrophobia, not a legitimate health issue. Nurses & doctors wear them continuously for 8-12 hours without distress. And nobody ever got a nosebleed from wearing a mask! Shields are not a substitute-- they only direct your exhaled breath downward. Stop being such a snowflake.

People who have legitimate issues with masks do not have to wear them, but they can and should at least wear a light covering like a loose, thin scarf that should not cause them problems. 

• Scott

Because for most people, the negative effects are outweighed by the benefits.  It’s not like you have to wear a mask 24 hours a day.  

And if you don’t like a mask covering up your nose, you have other options.