Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

Why does my BF only want to invest together after marriage (not before marriage)?

I wouldn't invest in something with someone I was not married to. I wouldn't buy a house with someone I was not married to. I wouldn't start a business with someone I wasn't married to. Unmarried relationships can go south pretty quickly. 

• Foofa

If you mean invest money that would be because it's never wise to combine any kind of finances with a non marital partner. This is something people only feel safe doing with someone have a legal commitment to, because that other person also has a legal commitment to them. There isn't a financial advisor on the planet who'd suggest it's a good idea for non married people to combine their finances. In fact many would tell him to keep his money separate even after he marries you, assuming he does someday marry you. 

• MissA

Because it's dumb to form long-term financial commitments with someone who you haven't decided you want to form a long term emotional commitment to.

Your boyfriend is a very intelligent guy. Many romances broke up and left one or the other stranded after they had co-mingled funds.

• Raja

He has realized that after marriage it is important to save . When invest together the investment or capital will be more and earnings will be high .That is the reason why he want to invest jointly .The ideas good. Support him.

• Ana

Because he’s smart, and IMO you probably have bad intentions if you insist on him investing with you before marriage. 

You'd have to ask HIM, although at least one answer here was a good one. Can you determine which it might be?

• ?

because he's not a moron

This is pretty vague, but my quick answer is it's because he has a brain.  Nobody should EVER make major purchases or combine finances with an SO until they're married.  There are all sorts of reasons for this.

• n2mama

Because he understands that tangling finances without a legal agreement gets very messy to untangle. With a marriage it’s pretty cut and dried most of the time. In the absence of a prenup, marital assets and debts are split evenly in the event of a divorce. In an informal relationship (bf/gf) there aren’t cut and dried rules. Now, if what you wanted to invest in was a piece of property, like buying a house together, you could consult an attorney and have documents drawn up that stipulate how the property is handled if the relationship ends. If you are talking about investing in something like a business together, I’d probably run away from that too. Way too high of a risk there.