Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

Missouri Apartment Laws? Hole in ceiling?

My partner and I moved in to an apartment on August 11th. On October 18th, we noticed leaking above our apartment, we called emergency maintenance, they cut a hole in our ceiling to find the leak, said it came from the apartment upstairs and said the issue was resolved. They said it would stop leaking after a bit. The next morning, it was still leaking and we notified the apartment. A mantience guy came later that day to find out it was an issue with the pipes above our ceiling. They managed to fix it after a couple days of leaking on and off. We had a dehumidifier in our apartment for about two weeks. After it got taken out, we got told they would get the hole patched up and painted for us. On black Friday, we received an email that the apartment maintenance was entering our apartment on Friday to patch the ceiling. They ended up never coming. I went to the apartment office on Monday and couldn't talk to the manager because he is out of town. I talked to the assistant and she said she would tell him and they will probably fix it this week. Is there anyway I can get this fixed myself? Any way to speed along the process? This has been going on for about two months and frustrating the hell out of me because we had to move our dining table out of the room. 

Under the current circumstances in the country, I think you need to be a little more patient. Keep calling them and wait. 

It’s really not that big of a deal.  Calm down. This is the week after a holiday. The repair is not an emergency and will be treated accordingly. 

You could ask the landlord if they'll pay you to fix it (assuming you can do it, or konw someone who can).  They might but they don't have to. Otherwise, just keep waiting.

There is no state law that covers a situation such as this and it's actually an issue of common sense. If it's a large apartment complex, I would assume they assign priorities to each job. If it's a smaller complex, I'd guess they have to hire someone and then wait until the sub-contractor had time. It sounds like it's in progress. I'd give it another week or so.

sure, pay a handyman to fix it.  when there is a leak, it is better to leave the space open to dry out for a while..so its  not really that far outside the time frame for a reasonable fix.

You can fix it yourself if you want, at your own cost.  

• Scott

Do you really think there is a state law addressing such minutiae as a hole in the ceiling of your rented apartment? 

• Maxi

No you don't 'fix it yourself' it is not your property to fix you need to put everything in writing, not go and speak to them and have messages left.......so IN WRITING keep a copy of the letter advising them no one turned up and you need to know when/what day/date the issue will be resolved

You don't want to be responsible to fix it yourself.  It the complex doesn't like how the job was done, it will become a big mess.

Make your request in writing.

Follow up every 2 weeks in writing.   Get tougher with each time you have to tell them.

"Is there anyway I can get this fixed myself?"  You have no right to permanently alter someone else's property without their knowledge and consent. 

"Any way to speed along the process?"   Keep good documentation and follow-up again on Monday if they don't come this week.   Follow-up in writing.

Why does your dining table have to be out of the room if it's no longer leaking?   Just let them know that the table needs to be moved in order for them to access it so a heads-up would be great.   Move or cover it for the fix and then put it back.