is it pointless buying new cds now because they will have poor sound quality playback?

that's what i got told recently, that, if you buy say a music cd of the kinks or the beatles say on cd now that it will sound very bad in sound quality and be poorly remastered, with the loss of depth and other quality's older produced cds had and the quality's vinyl records had - as is common with cds which are manufactured now or in recent times.

is this true? so therefor, would it be pointless to build up a cd collection now of your favourite artists because the sound quality will likely be poor with a bad remastered sound? - so it would be best to look for older cds?

• Kurt
    Favorite Answer

Many classic rock CD's have been re-mastered and sound great on a good stereo system (amp, receiver, CD player, speakers). This set-up is considered "old school" by younger music listeners but is the best way to enjoy music. Plug in some studio headphones and it's like hearing a live band.

• Tony B

I hope this doesn't sound rude, I don't mean it to be but it might look that way when written down.

I think that if, for whatever reason, you don't like CDs then you should certainly stop buying them. It's really not a problem as there are other ways to obtain music to listen to.

I can remember (just) the old shellac 78s, vinyl records, cassettes and CDs. Without doubt CDs are my favourite so far as sound quality goes. 

There are people who dislike digital recording formats and prefer the “warmth” of analogue recording, but very little recorded music available now has not been converted to a digital format. To me, nothing that is easily and commonly available out does a CD.

Of course, bands like The Kinks, The Beatles and others from the sixties and seventies were originally recorded using multitrack tape (which produces tape noise when played back and degrades slightly every time it is played) which often used noise reduction which was then mixed down to a stereo master. At best this was a second generation recording. Any shortcomings were often masked by the resulting medium - a record, complete with surface noise. In terms of clarity, brightness, crispness etc. that just can't compete with a fully digital recording.

I would agree ONLY to the extent of the old classic albums. I DO buy allot of NEW CDs. New bands, new music, the sound quality is excellent as should be. As I enjoy sharing music with others, hope to share "finds" you may not have heard yet. May I suggest a listen to Snowy White & the White Flames new album

"Something on Me" ? Yes, it has very nice Sound Quality too : )

The title track Sir :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnIl-QKcIx0

Youtube thumbnail