Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSkin Conditions · 2 months ago

Itchy skin peeling on my vagina? Burning?

So this happens every once in awhile I noticed it usually after my period, im 17. On my inner vagina lips, they start to dry and peel. I've also noticed little what seems like little cuts on them too it's very weird. This started happening this year before tht its never been a problem before and im very confused. It's kind of itchy and it burns down there too, anyone know what I have? Keeps coming bck :( 

2 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    Unfortunately, these symptoms can cover a wide variety of skin conditions.  It’s possible that you have a bacterial or fungal infection on your skin.  You could also have an inside infection, such as in the urinary tract.  There are a number of factors that go into infections.  Do you clean regularly?  Do you keep any and all products you use, such as razors, tampons, etc clean and sterile?  Do you use a different towel after bathing often?  Do you not share any hygienic products or anything else that comes in direct contact with your skin?  Do you not have an issue with sweating often or excessively?  Do you try not to use public restrooms, and do what you can not to come in direct contact with anything there?  If you answered “no” to any of these questions, it’s likely that you do have a fungal or bacterial infection.  

    There’s also the possibility of contact dermatitis, which is caused by contact of the skin with an allergen.  This can be caused by the material of the clothing you wear, any creams, moisturizers, lotions, or lubricants you may use down there, a reaction to certain materials such as latex, or the material and chemicals used in whatever tampons you may use.  It can also be any soap you use to wash with, or your laundry detergent.  With it seeming to occur at the time of your periods, I would suggest that it’s very possible to be the tampons you may be using that are causing the irritation.  The best thing for you to do would be to see a dermatologist.  They can look at it and make an attempt to diagnose and treat it.  Worse case scenario, you can have a skin sample taken to determine if the rash is caused by a bacterial, yeast, or fungal infection.  

    In the meantime, there are some things you can do to help determine the cause yourself.  Immediately stop using any new or different products you have used in that area since the problem began.  Change everything you may use to products specifically for sensitive, itchy, and irritated skin, including soaps, lotions, and laundry detergents.  You could start taking an antihistamine, such as Benadryl, or another allergy medication.

    Avoid using moisturizers in that area.  If it’s a fungal or bacterial infection, these can make things worse.  Also, do not use anything that will dry out your skin, which will also make it more irritated.  Try not to use steroid creams, such as cortisone.  It’s more common than people think, but one side effect few people know about is that excessive use of steroid creams can thin your skin, making it appear loose, wrinkly, and saggy.  That is a very sensitive area, so it’s easy to cause this problem there.  The damage from that can potentially be permanent, so it’s important to use that as little as possible.  If you shave, make sure everything you use is completely sterilized clean, use a shaving cream for sensitive skin that helps prevent irritation from shaving, and be sure to completely clean the area afterwards.  

  • 2 months ago

    I would need to examine it very closely before giving a diagnosis.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.