Anonymous

How am I supposed to eat lunch or dinner??

I am a security guard  my post really has no spot for me to take breaks or eat my lunch.  Their is a small room which is the water meter room with company phone inside and some paperwork.  I do not own or have a car which to sit on.  My supervisor has seen me eating inside Panada Express and told me it is against company policy to be eating inside eating establishments .  I am on call or duty during my break period so I can't take my shirt off because if I receive a call I need to go handle it immediately.  He says if he catches me again he will report me and write me up for it.  I have tried sitting inside the small room the door cannot be closed and half the body is hanging out.

• Jane

As others have said, there are legal requirements around being able to take breaks while at work- check your contract and the employment regulations in your country/state.

I'm a chef in the UK, the work is full on all the time and it is difficult to take a lunch/dinner break. I always make sure I eat and drink enough to keep me going through the shift, I have my water bottle and food box within reach for any chance of a quick break. Panda kinda food isn't going to be good for your health on a daily basis. I plan ahead with things like easily microwaveable meals from previous day's dinners, snacky things like bananas, pitta bread and hummus, smoothies, crackers and cheese etc.If I didn't do this, I would be totally burned out! 

• Amy

There are legal requirements about breaks depending on how long your shift is. Find your state in this list: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/state/meal-breaks

In most cases, you should have a half hour when you are genuinely off duty (not on call). 

When my children were younger id eat anytime and anywhere. Just make adjustments. Eat before you go in and take a snack during your shift. Be flexible. 

well that your shitty job that you got if i were you i would sit in that small room and bring my own food it least it is healthy to make your own food

How the hell are you supposed to survive with no food, is this even legal? Shouldn’t there be more than one security person. I’d quit that’s jobs gonna stress you out and cause health problems bro. Ain’t worth it find something else. 

a ham samndwich

• garry

never knew you had to sit to eat , I am to  busy to worry about sitting down for a meal anyway .. whats wrong with you changing your meal time till after work like normal people .

As a former manager of a Security Agency, our guards were limited as to where they could eat. They were not allowed off-premises during working hours and were not given breaks as there was often no one available to do so. They were allowed to eat on the job and, if there was a cafeteria or food machine on the premises, they were allowed to use it. Our guard shacks always had a bench on which they could sit while they ate during their on-duty hours. Most of them brought cold sandwiches and they didn't go hungry. As for giving them a personal break, their tours through the establishment provided time for that.

ASK him where you can eat.

• n2mama

So when your boss caught you eating at the Panda Express and told you that wasn’t allowed, what was his suggestion as to where you should be taking your break? Because I’m sure you pointed out to him that you don’t have a break room, so where are you expected to eat?