Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 2 months ago

can electrical tape safely fix my charger wire?it got chewed a little by my puppy and it looked like it sparked a little but still works ?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Splice and solder the damaged wire and cover it with shrink tube. Train the dog to not chew on wires, before it gets a mouthful of red kryptonite chomping on a high voltage cord. Dogs are smart enough to be taught better than some people.

• 2 months ago

Carefully separate the two wires first in order to prevent them from shorting across one another. Then use electrical tape to wrap around each wire individually. After wrapping them individually, you can then wrap them together with another bit of electrical tape. After which, find a way to keep your cute lil puppy from chewing on them again. Perhaps a chew toy or rawhide chews or something. My dog liked the meat flavored rawhide chews.

Source(s): retired electrician
  • 2 months ago

If you still have the puppy, consider putting a cord cover over the cord after taping over it.

These should also be available at AutoZone and perhaps Lowe's:

https://www.amazon.com/Alex-Tech-25ft-Tubing-Condu... 

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's compromised,, that can cause a short circuit!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Time to buy a new one.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If it is a low voltage wire then electrical tape should be OK. If it is a high voltage mains wire then ideally it should be replaced.

• 2 months ago

Electrical insulating tape should keep it safe if you adequately cover any damage to the wire's insulation, including between adjacent wires if both are damaged. NEVER leave it so it can spark. Ideally, a damaged wire should be replaced or shortened to remove the damaged area but, realistically, a good enough covering of electrical tape is probably all it needs.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.