what are transgenders called before they came out, he or she?

for example elliot page used to be ellen page when looking at his pics before he became elliot he looks was a girl do you say she was beautiful in that picture years ago or he was beautiful years ago, this isnt about elliot but about how to address any tansgender the correct way

Update:

the thing with elliort, he said he is non binary whivch means gender neutral, how can anyone be both transgender and nonbinary at the same time, being non binanry neither he nor she would be acceptable

11 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Something like "That is what HE looked like before he socially transitioned."

• 1 month ago

Transgender people do not actually change gender. "Trans" as in to move or change, is a misnomer here. It simply means an acceptance that your gender is different to your sex.

• garry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

only thing i san think of is a closet gay ..or a closet lesbian ..

• Sky
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Before a transgender person comes out, they are referred to in name and pronouns based on the gender indicated by their physical birth sex.  If someone is born with a vagina that person is referred to as "she" unless and until that person comes out as trans.  Likewise, if someone is born with a penis that person is referred to as "he" unless and until that person comes out as trans.  Nobody knows a person is trans and should be regarded as a gender different from their birth sex unless that person informs everyone else they are trans.  I don't see why this is so hard for you to figure out.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Everyone should be called "it", cis or trans, at all times.

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

If someone was truly non-binary they would have no sexual inclinations at all .

• 2 months ago

If a transman, she; if transwoman, he!

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I think each trans person has their own opinion. Some want you to refer to them with their old pronouns and others always want you to use the current pronouns. I would always do the latter unless they say otherwise. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Given that Elliot Page is a public figure, I doubt anyone is going to go back and change the credits in his work, those who are aware of Elliot's transition with probably respect him and call him by his new name, I suspect many will not know of the transition or will forget and call him Ellen.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

First of all trans people do not change gender, they affirm their inborn gender identity. Elliot was always non-binary/male, we just didn't know it until recently.

So in general you should speak of a trans persons past as the same gender they are now. That is unless they give you permission to do otherwise.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.