Anonymous

Can a supervisor fire you on the spot without cause? ?

So, I notified my supervisor a few days ago that I will be leaving the company in about three weeks. 

She was shocked (or at least acting really good) and asked why when I'm one of the best at placing referrals? I explained that I want to explore my options and grow as a worker, and I told her I feel it's best for me to do that somewhere else. I threw in very subtly that the new job doesn't have a quota system. I said that the hiring manager told me that the company doesn't pressure workers and that's why people stay at the firm for years and that appealed to me. 

All of a sudden today I get called into my supervisor office and was told that Friday will be my last day. I thought at first I do not give a darn at all but then I thought I really need the money because this is basically two weeks without pay and I can't afford to miss that many days.

So I asked is it because of me leaving? She said no we have someone new already. I was taken aback because where did they find this person at?

I told her I wanted to stay until the date I planned on leaving. 

She just said that there's really no point and that they already have a replacement. 

Can she do this? Is it retaliation for me leaving? 

Anonymous, 

It's not a pyramid scheme. If it were then it would be shut down. 

On that note, I use to work for the county of Los Angeles and for Los Angeles Superior Court. I never came on here asking questions about those jobs. Not once did I do that because they didn't require a stupid quota. 

I refuse to take any job that has a quota system. I don't care how much it pays. 

N2Mama,

Who are you calling "lame duck?" I didn my job well. 

I didn't always meet my quota but for the most part I did. 

N2Mama,

You're wrong. A lame duck President is one that didn't accomplish anything especially in the months leading up to reelection. 

I gave a three week notice because that's what they req according to the employee handbook. 

And why do you call me COCO? That's not my name. 

N2Mama, 

No, I am NOT COCO or COCO PUFF. 

Lastly, I don't need luck because I am blessed. Prior to my time at the call center, I never come on here asking questions about my previous jobs. This job drove me nuts because of the quota. As I had said in my other questions, it didn't matter if we met or exceeded our quota. If we went one or two days without meeting our quota then our sup and management would act as though we weren't doing anything. 

N2Mama,

Who wants to deal with that sh!t? Their turnover rate is bananas because they don't value their employees and because of that quota system. 

Garry, 

I referred to the supervisor as she.

• ?

yes he can , and he must have a cause but refuses to tell you , simply he can fire you but doesnt have to say why , only a judge can order him to say why ..

• Kyle

assuming you're at an at will employment, employers can let employees go for any reason, at any time, often without giving a reason.  

in turn though, employees can also leave at any time for any or no reason at all.  

depending on how companies let employees go varies.  some give notice.  others don't.  

Yes, they can.  They can always fire someone if there is no reason.  They have the right to do it randomly.

It doesn't matter whether it's retaliation for you leaving or not; either way, they can do it.

if you are in a "right to work state" yes they can.

• Judy

Yes she can.  Ask your new job if you can start earlier.

• n2mama

In the U.S., unless you are in a union or otherwise have an actual employment contract (very rare), yes, you can be let go with no notice and for no reason. It may very well because you gave notice, as others have pointed out “lame duck” employees are notoriously bad for business. And if it was, it isn’t illegal and the company has no obligation to let you work out your notice period. As far as you needing the money, well, you can see if the new job will let you start early. Otherwise you are SOL.

COCO: any employee who is leaving but hasn’t actually left yet is a lame duck. Its like a president who was voted out of office in November but the new one isn’t inaugurated until mid-January. That’s a lame duck because he isn’t going to accomplish anything of significance in the last two months, and everyone knows it. If you gave three weeks notice that you were quitting, you are the same. It has nothing to do with your job performance, but I can see why your insecurities would lead you to take it as an insult.

I call you COCO because your user name is COCO PUFF, which is how you asked your question before switching it to anonymous. Those of us that are regulars know you no matter when you try to hide your self and your history, we’ve all heard your saga before. And do a little bit of research before arguing a point where you are so clearly wrong. All you (and anyone else) has to do is google and know that my definition of lame duck is correct and yours is wrong. Good luck with your new job, you certainly will need it.

• Eva

As I recall you are in the US.  Employment here is "at will". They can let you go at any time for any or no reason unless you have a written contract.  It's not at all uncommon for someone to be terminated when they give their notice. The employer figures that the employee isn't going to do much work anyway and doesn't want to give them the opportunity to do damage within the company.

Most states can terminate an employee at any time for any reason. Several companies have a policy of terminating employees who have given notice and, unfortunately, you have no recourse.

• Rick B

In most states, you can be fired at any time without reason.  If you need to make money during those two weeks, perhaps your new employer will allow you to start early.

Do you have stored up PTO that will be paid out on your last check?  Most employees are paid in arrears, so your last check might actually be two weeks after your last day.  In other words, you might still be paid during those two weeks.

Sure she can since you’re leaving anyway. What’s the point of keeping you around when you’re not going to do your job anymore. There are no consequences. You can screw things up and don’t care. You can try to screw the company over by teaching your replacement all the wrong things. You can make mistakes and there’s no repercussions.