Anonymous

How do you call in sick to a new job?

I have a new job and have only been working there for one week on Thursday. I'm getting sick, my body has a low grade fever of 100.4, I'm coughing, my nose is stuffy and running, I have a headache and I'm nauseous. I don't have covid, I know that, but I don't want to spread my sickness to my coworkers. So how do I call in sick when I've only been on the job a week. (I was always taught you don't want to call off for any reason for the first 3 months.)

My doctor only accepts a certain number of people now and are booked till February. However, my new job has been having success with at home work. My job is stuff that can be at home. Can I suggest doing some of it there?

• Scott
    Favorite Answer

Call in. You don't know for sure you don't have covid 19. Your employer may require you to quarantine and/or take a covid test and bring in the results.

• Call your supervisor and let them know you're sick, and that you don't want to risk infecting your colleagues.  If you're honestly sick, stay home.

• Maxi

You phone your manager  and speak to them, telling them your concerns about spreading an illness and saying you will be off today, get medicated, go to bed and hopefully be there tomorrow but will call if not..... depends on the company, depends on your job what will happen.......

That was then and this is now. There was a time when you worked through it, but now with covid you have to tell them, and call in sick. Tell the boss you can work from home but you do not want to infect anyone before you know what you have got. Be straightforward. 

The truth. And hope they believe you and hope you don't make a habit out of it. The sooner the better as you are creating work for your boss. He has to find someone to work.