Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

hii i have a question about court ordered restriction orders ?

so this guy (18 when it happened hes 21 now) is on probation bc he had sex with me when i was 14. and the court (not me) put a restriction order on him so he can not be near me or within 500 ft of my school.

i am wondering, because of the reason for the restriction order, would it be lifted when i am 18? or would something like this be permanent? I would ask the court but do not have the contacts anymore.

also i live in michigan in case it varies by state


btw just a clarification lol. it sounds like im trying to see him again. im not lol i was just wondering and i was worrying a while back that when i turned 18 he would try to hurt me or something because hes mad he got in trouble

6 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    If the order to stay away from you is part of his parole agreement, then it remains in place until his parole is done. You cannot do anything to remove the order. The parole office would effectively see his association with you as something that could cause him to revert back to his criminal behavior. Not to compare you to a drug dealer, but it would be like a parole officer requiring a parolee on a drug conviction to avoid contact with their prior dealer and others associated with their prior drug involvement.

    If someone is under 18, their parents can get a protection order on their behalf (even if the child doesn't want it). This restriction may have been something your parents requested as part of his probation. Once the child is old enough, they can petition the court to remove the protection order.

    If you wish for the protection order to remain in place after his parole is done, you'll want to contact the court to get it extended.

    In any case, it's left up to the judge (or parole office) to decide whether to lift the order or not.

  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    I'd suggest that when you turn 18 you go file for a restraining order against him. 

  • Bruce
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    The restriction is never "lifted", but it does have an expiration date. No one knows that date without looking at the order. 

  • !
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Kind of depends on the exact ruling in the case. If he was convicted of a sexual offense against a minor, that stays on his record forever, and the restriction would apply to all schools, not just yours. Of course, the restriction in those circumstances would only apply to minors, so it stopped applying specifically to you when you turned 18.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

    If he’s registered as a sex offender, which is likely, then the rules pertaining to housing and distance from schools and parks will be permanent.  As will all the other laws and registration requirements he will have to comply with for the remainder of his natural life, unless Michigan allows petitions for relief.

    Restrictions about contacting you would expire when his sentence is completed, after probation.

  • Rick B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    There is no such thing as a permanent order.  The order should state the dates.  If I were you, I would stay far away from this pervert.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.