Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 3 months ago

Is there a law against spanking a newborn?

She is fussy and has been for the last 2 weeks.  We are ready to get some sleep and have also have quiet dinners.  I am thinking of beginning to administer mild spanks to discourage the crying behavior.

• L

Are you serious??????????????  She's only 2-weeks of age!   SHAME ON YOU!!!

A baby will cry for a number of reasons; hungry, wet/dirty diaper, hot/cold or has not been burped thoroughly during and after every feeding.  

If you do decide to spank - I hope you get reported and they take your baby away from you.

People who hit children are weak cowards who are unable to control their emotions and take out their frustrations by administering violence against children. Immaturity at it's worst.

It is not too late to give your child up for adoption...especially before you abuse him/her.

If you need to hit someone, at least hit someone who is able to hit you back to protect themselves.

To think that a two week old baby knows you are abusing them because they are not getting the love and attention they crave, makes you a fvcking 👹 monster. Really stupid, too.

You had me at "we are ready to get some sleep and also have quiet dinners." Those right there are unrealistic expectations when you have a newborn! They're nice when they happen but you can't expect a baby to work her "schedule" around yours. 

Although this comes across as a trolling attempt, on the off chance it's real, it's worrisome that you apparently haven't picked up a single book on parenting or even a high school-level child development textbook, any of which would tell you that you never, never hit a baby for any reason, and instead you're crowdsourcing for advice on social media on a major issue like physical discipline for a child, and a baby at that.

Love is a basic human need (source: my 7yo's recent Scholastic News issue, haha) and babies need it, in the form of being held, cuddling, nursing/bottlefeeding. They don't cry to manipulate you or because they're "spoiled." They literally have no other way to express their needs. Aforementioned 7yo went through a long period of fussiness as an infant; it was colic which left him in serious pain and punishing him for that would have only taught him that a) we didn't care and b) to be quiet and ignore his physical pain. Is that really what you'd want to teach your child?

If you're considering spanking your newborn, you need to connect with child services in your area and attend parenting classes. (If you ask for help and admit you're lost or could just use some help, they'll offer it. A court order is not needed to take parenting classes!)

TL;DR: You're way behind in reading up on the behavior and basic needs of your child. Please make it your priority to catch up before you seriously harm her.

• ?

perhaps you are the one who needs a beat down yes??

• drip

I hope this is a troll post.

If not talk to your GYN about your feelings towards you new baby. Wanting to spank a newborn is not normal parental behavior. 

Talk to your pediatrician about what is normal for a newborn. It is a well known fact new parents don’t  sleep. 

If you can’t handle a child, please consider adoption.

• James

It comes down to reasoning ability. A newborn can not reason enough to think, "If I cry I get spanked. I should stop crying" Newborns can only communicate with crying until they learn movement and language.

Dont spank a newborn, they wont understand.

Source(s): lots of kids

I know this must be a troll. Obviously you would never spank a newborn. What an idiotic questions. If by chance you are not a troll, babies cry all the time, it is normal. Purple crying is normal.

if you hit them hard enough they'll stop crying. i did it to my baby and he's been asleep for almost an entire day

There should be a law against posting garbage like your question. 

ARE YOU CRAZY! She's a baby! You cant spank her! You're a horrible parent for even having that thought!