Is it normal to pull an all nighter  for college finals?

• drip

Pulling all-nighters the whole week of finals. No that is not normal.

To pull an over nighter once in awhile, yes some student do that. 

Plenty of student can use time management skills and not need to cram before an exam or finials week.

I only did an over night once in four years of college and that was to help a friend finish a project.

My old teacher said it's impossible to go to college without pulling all nighters, or at least that's what I think she said. Just make sure you study in a relaxing environment and when you take breaks make the best out of it by making sure it's a relaxing environment, because it's not much of a break with aches and pains. Focus on yourself, not others, now is the time for YOU!

Source(s): High school English teacher
  • DON W

Generally it's a bad idea and I never did so while earning several degrees.

The evening and the morning before the exam should be when you do a final review of the material, which you should have already learned.  This final review makes sure you remember everything, including any key terms or concepts likely to appear on the exam, and keeps it fresh in your brain.

• ?

It’s not recommended. Cramming doesn’t have a good track record of success. I’ve been a professor for the last 22 years and students who study even for just 15 minutes per day every day throughout the semester so far better than those who try cramming. 

I once did 2 all nutters in a row when I was working on my second bachelors degree. I got an A- in mineralogy. That was in 1977. 

• GA41

It may be normal, but it is counterproductive.  You don't think as clearly when you are exhausted.  It is best to study a little bit every day and get a good nights sleep before the exam.  If you have to pull an all nighter, its because you haven't been studying enough.  I used to study in the morning between classes.  Schedule your study time.  Then you can go out on the evenings and weekends.