Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 2 months ago

When you have your name legally changed how do you inform IRS ?

4 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    When you change it with SSA, it is automatic.  IRS goes by name listed with SSA.

  • 2 months ago

    You don't.

    Update your name with the Social Security Administration and that's it. The IRS cross references against the SSA database, so if social security has your new name, then the IRS has it as well.

    The IRS bases all of their work on your social security number anyway. Your name is just used as one (of many) ways for them to detect fraud. Since people are highly unlikely to misspell their own name or the name of a spouse or dependent, they can weed out fraud by simply cross-checking social security numbers against names. This also helps prevent people from filing fraudulent tax returns by just putting random SS numbers on a return and hoping it goes through as valid.

    If you file a tax return shortly after changing your name you may need to file using your previous name if the SSA database is not yet updated.

  • 2 months ago

    You let the SSA know about it. Their records are connected to the IRS records. In any case, the SSN does not change, so they can always figure out who you are.

  • Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    You change your name with social security and that takes car of th IRS too.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.