What is the process of trading in a car?

Im not trading it with a dealership but with a guy on Facebook. Thanks!

Best auto auctions network from https://carauctionnetwork.com/

What are you getting for your car from this guy ?

If it's money, that's NOT a trade, that's selling.

If selling, then it would be stupid to turn over the title until the buyer has paid you in FULL for your car, and not by check, because checks can bounce.

That's called selling a car, not trading one in. Get a clue. FAIL. 

Probably a bad idea.

But, you want to ensure the other guy has a clear title in the his name.(on the front and nobody elses)  And then do bill of sales showing the terms. Might want to call the DMV and see exactly how they want it. 

When I was a dealer and took a trade, I would show the sale price, say $3500 and less a trade in of say $1500 for a net sale price of $2000. Then I would charge them tax on the net amount. 

Since neither of you are dealers you both will probably end up owing sales tax on the states determination of value.

Same as the dealership .  You both agree on the difference in value of each car.   You write up an agreement including the exchange of vehicles and cash.  You both sign , pay as necessary,  exchange keys and titles and shake hands as you go your separate ways.

The terms are negotiable between you and him, the only legal part is that you both complete the documents to transfer ownership but it's between you two to work out the part exchange, which I guess it is as usually they want some money as well as the exchange and not just a simple swap.