? asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Why can’t dogs eat chocolate?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

    It's for 2 reasons:-

    - The first reason is because chocolate obviously contains a lot of sugar and milk, both of which are bad for dogs in excessive amounts. A small amount of dairy foods won't do a dog any harm, but excessive amounts can cause diarrhea, since dogs are usually lactose intolerant, as their digestive system is adapted to digesting meat and not milk. Too much dietary sugar is as bad for a dog's well being as it is for a human. It can cause dental decay and can also result in weight gain/obesity if it's not being burned up, especially in dog breeds which are prone to it, like English Bulldogs, pugs and Labrador retrievers.

    - The second reason is because human chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine. This is highly poisonous to a dog, and if enough is consumed, the effects are fatal. How much they need to consume for the effects to be toxic depends on 2 things:-

    O the dog's physical size (obviously it takes more to poison a bigger dog e.g. it takes more to poison a standard poodle than a toy/teacup poodle, and more to poison a rottweiler than a Pomeranian). 

    O the type of chocolate. The higher the percentage of cocoa solids, the more theobromine present, and thus the higher the toxicity level. White chocolate is the least toxic, while dark chocolate or cocoa powder are the most toxic.

    The best way to go is to just not feed a dog any human chocolate at all. If you really want to give a dog chocolate, then you're much better getting actual dog chocolate, or carob as it's known. This has had the theobromine removed, meaning it's safe for dogs to ear. Usually you get them as chocolate drops, or alternatively, you can get other dog chocolate treats from pet stores like pets at home.

    Hope this helps.

  • TK
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Cacao, what chocolate is made from, has caffeine and theobromine.  Both are strong stimulants in the dog's body that will increase the heart rate.  Up to a point, the dog, like a human, can tolerate an elevated heart.  But, if the dog ate too much chocolate/stimulant, then the heart will will progress into a twitching mess that cannot pump blood anymore.  Sad way to go. 

  • 2 months ago

    Because it is toxic for them to eat chocolate.  Milk chocolate is not as toxic as dark chocolate but both could kill a dog if they got enough of it.  One ounce per pound of body weight will kill.  So a dog would have to eat a lot of it before it is deadly.

  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    The component in chocolate that is toxic to dogs is called theobromine. Humans easily metabolise theobromine, but dogs process it much more slowly allowing it to build up to toxic levels in their system

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

    It is the theobromine in chocolate that is toxic to dogs and indeed dogs can DIE OF IT. 

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    It's very bad for a dog's complexion.  

  • 2 months ago

    they can eat dog chocolate but not human chocolate

  • 2 months ago

    The chemical in chocolate theobromine is a stimulant to both humans and to dogs and to cats and most other animals.  In a human being a piece of chocolate moderately stimulates the mood and causes the heart to beat a few beats faster.

    And a dog or a cat too much chocolate causes excitation and a heartbeat which is dangerously fast in the animal.

    And an increase in blood pressure too much chocolate given to a dog or cat or just about any animal can result in the animal having a heart attack.

    Coco mats those mats that you wipe your feet on made from the same tree that chocolate is harvested from has been known to kill dogs and cats that lay upon that mat and absorb the oil through their skin.

    it doesn't take very much chocolate to trigger this reaction in an animal. They make treats for animals that are made of carob which smells and tastes somewhat like chocolate to animals and to people.

    This product does not contain theobromine which is toxic to certain animals.

  • V.G
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Because it's toxic to dogs.

  • 2 months ago

    it is deadly to them, it could make them go blind as well.

    my mother had a dog when she was a younger and my grandmother gave it chocolate and than he went blind and got run over by a car sadly :(

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.