Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareOther - Hardware · 2 months ago

Spilled Hot Sauce on Corsair K70 - How To Fix?

I have a Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue keyboard for my desktop PC. I had a little container of sauce on my desk that I picked up, but the people at Buffalo Wild Wings didn't secure the lid, and it spilled on my keyboard. Most of the left third of the keyboard was covered in the sauce. I was drunk, so against my better judgment, I spilled water on it to try and clean it. I don't think anything got into the board underneath, but I'm not totally sure. The next morning (it was dry by then), I took off all the key caps and used cotton swabs with dish soap and water to clean the spaces between the keys as well as I could, and I washed the key caps. I used cotton swabs with very warm water to clean the surfaces of the keys and pressed them repeatedly (I got this technique from a Paul's Hardware video on cleaning mechanical keyboards). The keys in that area still seem sticky, and no matter what I do, when I turn on my computer, the keys don't register. Some of the LEDs still work, but not on the regular keys - just the brightess key and the other couple keys on the very top right of the keyboard (the ones that aren't removable), so the keyboard is getting power. It just won't type. Do I need to disassemble the whole keyboard?

Not worth the trouble, but if you want, try cotton swabs with alcohol, and dissasemble the whole thing and clean everything (if corrosion appeared use vinegar )

Keyboards are cheap.  There was a time when you could take the keys off, and run the keyboard under warm water in the shower to clean it when such things happened.  New keyboards are not made the same way and in this case, it's just better and easier to buy a new keyboard.  

• Audrey

You need to buy a new keyboard.