Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 2 months ago

What's a good gift to give a senior citizen this year?

My mom is 96 and is isolating from covid. I'm trying to come up with good ideas to make her Christmas as nice as possible. I'd love to send her some little luxury items like cashmere bed socks, to make her holiday as nice as possible. Any suggestions to add to her gift?

I have no intention of seeing her over the holidays. I know better.

Favorite Answer

My grand daughter gave me a luxury food hamper last year, i really liked that. If you know what she likes you could send her that, or food delivery from a supermarket.

• ?

I now take the easy way out for Christmas.  I give everyone money and tell them to spend it on something they want.  Sometimes it's cash in their hand, sometimes it's a cheque sent by post (many friends and relatives live far from me) but I don't wrap any parcels any more. That time was fun when we had many children in the family but now we don't know the likes and dislikes of everyone and I hate the thought that, after all that choosing, wrapping etc. the gifts might just be pushed into a drawer and forgotten.

• P.L.

We senior citizens will surely already have everything we NEED.  Luxuries usually appear at Christmas and birthdays and, providing your relatives know what you like, you'll probably receive a supply of such things. If you are to be the sender of gifts just try to adhere to the list of that person's likes also.  My children are already asking me what I want and, when we have everything we need it's difficult to answer but I'll be grateful in accepting what they all offer me.

• kswck2

My wife did a show last year in a nursing home-she sells jewelry. All the folks there however, wanted bed jackets, socks and blankets to stay warm with. 

Failing that, how about a professional photo of ALL of her family, kids, grandkids, great grandkids, etc. 

At her age, just getting something thoughtful would be a win-win. Maybe a family portrait. Have you asked her what she would like? 

• ?

You have to know them.  Socks are a good idea IF she has cold feet .. some seniors get hot too easily.  If she gets cold easily, a nice chenille lap throw.

Food.  Good food. Treats she likes.  Maybe a year subscription to a food box every month (my daughter subscribes to one that mails her different snack food and candies from around the world every month).

Books of the type she likes.  

Puzzle books (word search, sudoku, crosswords), if she likes that kind of stuff.  One thing that is popular in my seniors apartment building ... coloring books (intricate, not little-kid books) and felt pens or colored pencils. Something you can sit down and do for a while.Puzzles, if they like that.

• Cathy

Her favorite chocolates or nuts, coffee or other food items. Pajamas or nightgown. Blanket or quilt, robe and slippers, bath set. 

• ?

robe...heating pad...A grocery gift card. A grocery gift card helps them buy food, which they need and want. It allows them to keep more of their money for other needs in their lives. .......Music Box.....Throw Pillow, Blanket or Canvas........find out what was her ole time favorite movie and download and place on dvd from youtube...........

please don't get anywhere near her. that is the best gift you can give... don't even drop anything off at her house. still a possibility of cross contamination. seriously don't. she's 96.