Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

I’m really struggling with my mental health. I don’t know where to start?

Hi I’m 18 years old & I still live at home with my parents. I’m really struggling with my mental health atm & finding it really hard to focus in college and keeping stable relationships with people in my home, I always overthink every situation I’m in & let it take over my life to the point I can’t even leave my bed or do anything productive like clean my room, do my makeup or even make an effort with myself at all. I’m so reliant on my boyfriend for my happiness and I feel I wait around all week to see him at the weekend so I can forget about how unhappy I am for a bit. I feel I’m always nitpicking and down & out when I’m at home as I’m really unhappy with my living situation. I have only been 18 for 3 months but I can’t remember the last time I’ve felt this low. I think going into adult hood is really impacting me especially during these times as I feel like I should have achieved more, I’m currently unemployed & just in a further education college only earning £60 every fortnight. I have really bad anxiety and take panic attacks when things get to much and I always turn to alcohol or drugs for that temporary happiness at the weekends & I feel partying is the only way I can escape how unhappy I am, I just don’t know where to start at all, I know I can be a better version of myself but it’s just so hard when everything in your life is making you so unhappy, low income, hate my living situation, anxiety, depression the lot I just feel so helpless.

Not to mention, I’ve struggled with mental health from the age of 10 but I really do think I’m at my lowest point being so new to adulthood and that. Feeling like I should have achieved more, have a good paying job actually being more independent and out doing my own thing but I’m stuck at home in a shitty routine only leaving the house to either see my boyfriend, or drink alcohol. I have lost interest in everything including watching tv. I have a toxic relationsship with my phone also.

When you are seeking happiness, what exactly is it you are seeking? You mention drugs and alcohol giving temporary happiness, by which I presume you mean fun or distraction from your problems. But real happiness doesn't come about by just by achieving that sort of temporary feeling then making it last longer. Real happiness is more like satisfaction or contentment, and exists at a deeper level than the froth of passing emotions. It comes from having a sense of who you are, what you are living for, and what the meaning of your life is, and from having a clear conscience. My own strong conviction is that Christianity provides a way to find that sort of satisfaction, but even if you don't agree with me on that point it is worth exploring the issues of meaning and purpose in a more general way. 

No one here is more enthusiastic about self-help methods than I am, but it's very clear from the way you describe your situation than you need professional help. I'm not sure what the steps are in your country. Here in the US, treatment usually begins with seeing a general practitioner. The things you'd want to tell the doctor are how you feel at different times of day, any symptoms you might have such as change in appetite or sleep, and things in your life affecting how you feel.

The self-help things that can help in this kind of situation include simple behavioral methods that help with motivation. They can help you to clean up, take care of yourself, and use the lifestyle therapies that help with your moods. There are details about these in my recent answers. Click on my name and read.

This has a variety of useful information. I suggest talking about them with a responsible adult, preferably a mental health professional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqEM_jlDRZI

Youtube thumbnail

• kelvin

you see your family doctor and take it from there