Does One Have to be Going Through Transitioning or Medical Treatment in Order to be Transgendered?

I’m trying to make this question as least offensive as possible.  Does one have to be actively transitioning in order to be considered trans?  I know of some people who are biologically male and female and want to be referred to as the opposite gender even though nothing about them on the outside has changed.  If you are not going through a body change then how can you be called trans?

• Sky
    Favorite Answer

A person is either born transgender or is not.  It has nothing to do with whether they are undergoing medical treatments or other transitioning steps because the individual is transgender long before transitioning takes place.  A person is, and can be considered to be, transgender when they are not yet actively transitioning.  It's similar to how a heterosexual person can be considered straight long before they start dating the opposite sex, or a homosexual person can be considered gay long before they start dating the same sex.  (Yes, I know gender identity and sexual orientation are two separate matters.)

These days all you have to do is self-declare LEGALLY. There are no requirements for people to change their legal papers except self-declaration in countries like Canada and states like New York and California. The UK had a massive, political fight over this and I believe the TERFs won and self-ID lost, officially. However many institutions like hospitals treat self-ID like it's the law and only require a self-declaration.  Prisons work on self ID in most of the Western world currently. Yes. For real. Convicted rapists with penises have taken advantage.

Transitional or surgical status has no bearing on whether a person is transgender.

Calling yourself trans is more living as the gender your brain is than transforming your body through drugs and surgery.

Most of the trans people I know (around fifteen) haven't had surgery and don't plan to. Most but not all the trans women take hormones, grow their hair out, remove body hair, and dress as women, but they are not trying to pass as women. (Depending on when they started hormone therapy, some couldn't without extensive surgeries.) They are happy to look like trans women. The two trans men I know are kind of the same, knowing their broader hips and softer facial planes will always be visible unless they have major work done.

simple answer is no.  Trans - transgender is an umbrella term encompassing many sub groups.

https://transstudent.org/about/definitions/

You are born transgender!