Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Should I feel guilty for not giving money to individual homeless people?

I’ve been duped before. I gave to two people. One got into his Audi, the other had a Rolex on which I saw after I gave him money. Plus they may get drunk or do drugs. So as a Christian should I feel guilty? 

Favorite Answer

I don't give anything anymore.   Sitting on a bench with my cousin, eating pizza when a "homeless" guy came up and asked for money for food.   Gave him most of our pizza instead.    He took it and threw it in a trash can.  Fuc*er- we were still hungry.

• yesmar

If the Holy Spirit convicts you to do so, and you don’t, then you missed an opportunity to be a light and a help.

If you weren’t convicted, don’t worry about it.

I doubt your story but I'll play.

Helping the needy has zero to do with religion.

I would bet that atheists are far more generous when it comes to charity.

You don't have to hand out money.

You can donate to food banks and soup kitchens.

You can offer food instead of money to the persons asking.

If you had a heart, you would never have to ask this question.

• Papa-G

If they're truly homeless and on drugs and alcohol, your money may give them another day to learn about God's plan for them. Many sadly die of alcohol withdrawal.

(Isaiah 65:21, 22) They will build houses and live in them, And they will plant vineyards and eat their fruitage. 22 They will not build for someone else to inhabit, Nor will they plant for others to eat.

Jesus teaches that we as individuals should have a desire to care for the poor and needy. This is not a letter of the law commandment, but is a principle that a true Christian should apply with good judgement. The idea is that we are trying to help people who are truly in need, not just check off some commandment.

No, too many crooks these days.

• Aaron

No but better to buy them a cup of tea/coffee and a sandwich rather than give money. 

Yes... your only funding an out of control drug habit when you give them money...

You should be able to tell the difference by now...

Tell the idiots to go turn the Earth like they should be.....

• Steven

Fireball answer if funny but I do not agree with it.

• ?

NO of course not...Instead I give to real charities through the mail..we know they are real.