Old Window Question - What kind? How to Seal?

I have some old windows and I can't find images of them anywhere online. They are pretty much glass flap sections(6 or 7?)  that open when you turn a knob, and then close. The problem is, they don't close all the way! There are gaps between the glass-to-glass closing part when they are turned down (maybe a knob problem) and gaps on the edges, MAINLY. How would I seal this type of window? And also, what are these types of windows called? I can't find a solution on how to seal these, because I can't find the name or images of this window type! Help!

Thank you in advance!


Note: The glass flap section panels are horizonal, one on top of the other, if this helps!

7 Answers

  • 3 weeks ago

    You have Louvered Windows. My grandparents had them on their front porch!

    You can seal them with this ingenious product --- interior storm windows from windowinserts.com.

    I have some old oak windows that leaked cold air into my home. Rather than replacing the windows, I ordered the window inserts for a fraction of the cost of new windows. This product is amazing! The interior "storm" windows are framed in metal surrounded buy weather stripping that simply presses into your inside window frame and stay there ... without ANY hardware. The frame holds this super thick vinyl that is as clear as glass. And, it is so lightweight, too!

    I installed them in less than one minute per window. They not only kept the draft out, they also decreased the noise from outside! The window inserts paid for themselves in just one heating season with saved eating oil costs ( I used one whole tank less of fuel oil in one heating season ).

    Get a quote from the owner, Eric and be amazed at the fantastic customer service and an EXCELLENT product! To give you an idea of cost...My 9 windows are approx 24"w x 36" tall and cost about $395.00, plus just $35.00 shipping! Amazing!!

    No, I am not affiliated with the Window Insert company - I am just a happy customer!

    Source(s): windowinserts.com
  • 1 month ago

    Its a louve window, I think they are beautiful, just put some heavy curtains or secodary glass on the inside

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    They're called "louvered panes"  You can make them seal up by buying sealing tape they use around doors.  It is a ribbon of foam on a roll with one sticky side.  I would try that because that foam weatherstripping is fairly easy to find at a building supply store...though I would really look into replacing that window entirely...just to keep the hungry mosquitoes out.

  • 2 months ago

    They are louvered windows and are used in the tropics where a seal is not only not needed, but not wanted.

    They SHOULD NOT be used anywhere you what a decent seal. If you want a seal, you REPLACE them entirely.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    They are louvered windows. Most people replace them with top hung casements or similar as they don't seal well and they are a security risk - you can usually just slide the louvre blades out of the clamps. Another option is secondary glazing, but for the cost of that you might as well replace the window. Sometimes these were installed if there were gas appliances in the rooms they served, so you need to be sure that you can seal them up.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    They're called "louvered panes"  where I live, which is another term for "jalousie" anon below me used.  I agree with them that they're only suitable for hot countries.  They don't seal well - ever.  If you own the property move replacing them up the priority list.  Meanwhile heavy lined curtains will help keep the heat in.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    You  are describing a Jalousie window. They are terrible because they never seal properly, and they are easy to break into. They are useful only in temperate climates. I suggest you use a thermal windowshade/covering when you want to seal the window, or replace the windows entirely.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.