Should college professors say that 'white lives don't matter' on Twitter?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priyamvada_Gopal

On 23 June 2020, Gopal tweeted "White lives don't matter. As white lives" and "Abolish whiteness", in response to a banner flown over a Premier League football stadium that read "White lives matter Burnley". She received abusive messages, including death threats, following her tweet.[26][27] Gopal told the media that her comments were opposing the concept of whiteness – the presumption of white superiority – and challenging the racial basis for lives mattering, adding that it wasn't whiteness that gave lives their dignity, nor should it be the criteria for lives mattering.[28] Professor Gopal stood by her tweets asserting that her comments were "very clearly speaking to a structure and ideology, not about people".[29]

The following day, the University of Cambridge tweeted a blanket defence of its academics' right to free speech, without explicitly referencing her case. A statement released by the university read: "The University defends the right of its academics to express their own lawful opinions which others might find controversial and deplores in the strongest terms abuse and personal attacks. These attacks are totally unacceptable and must cease".[30]

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

will refrain from speaking on something I am not familiar with

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I am a college graduate and I can tell you that racism is based on attitude and not on skin color. Everybody knows that these days!

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Martin Luther King Jr's dream is over ... dead.  His movement has been hijacked by the likes of these types that use identity politics to further divide by race groups rather than seek for all to be judged by the content of their character as individuals.

The ridiculous excuses given for why _their_ racism is acceptable boggles the mind.  And it never occurs to them that their own detractors, including any true racists, would give the exact same excuses that they do, if they were ever given the privilege of a similar platform to excuse their racism.

• 2 months ago

@ AJ -  “It's about abolish skin color and physical differences of race.” ——- of course, you are Jew. You would prefer European people to disappear from the world through mongrelization.  People like you, Smartypants, humpty are a cancer in the western world.

”Being white is not privilege to take the world, ” --- says AJ who supports Zionism and Israeli occupation of Palestine. Do you guys ever practice what you preach? 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

There is far left wing certainly that is not in line with mainstream thinking any more than far right wing is supported. However also, in this case, your dichotomy thinking and simplicity misinterprets her statement, which wasn't made very well either overall. 

It's another defensive play versus "all lives matter".

If you read the full wiki you see that the thinking is of course, all lives matter, but being white does not deserve the special privileges any more than being another race does not deserve to have less. It's about abolish skin color and physical differences of race. It's stated confrontationally, but that's common from both ends. Being white doesn't matter any more than being black. In reality, it does, and that is what she's calling out. White imperialism is clear in history, and I'm white and know it. Are you saying it's fair that DeBeer's diamonds is 85% American and only 15% local in Africa where the diamonds come from? Are you saying that White Europeans who took North America, Australia, and other native lands is not part of history? Being white is not privilege to take the world, just as in the USA, being Christian does not mean others don't have rights. If I state "Christian lives don't matter as Christians" it's confrontational but intended to mean being Christian does NOT give any special treatment, or shouldn't. Christian lives matter ONLY AS LIVES and NOT as Christians. Is this too much for you?    

• Mark
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Saying "white lives matter" is like saying a person in Iran saying "Islamic lives matter".

Why state the obvious?

• 2 months ago

What a person SHOULD say and what she has the RIGHT to say are two different things.  I don't think she "should" say that, but she does have the "right" to say it.  If her college is consistent in permitting free speech in all opinions, I am fine with it.

• ?
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

So you don't think they have the right to free speech?

• 2 months ago

According to Twitter yes 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No. She's puppet for black people. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.